• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CV Axle shafts, from factory?

DaKing

NAXJA Forum User
I was at a salvage yard today, and saw a jeep Wagoner (basically an XJ). It had to be an early XJ, cause it had the GM V6 Motor. Fairly plain jeep, not lifted, or anything. Then, I noticed it had CV joints in the Dana 30 front.

I'm thinking someone installed them? In the past, when the jeep was driving.. (well, not replaced well actually driving, that would be crazy)

Has ANY XJ ever come from the factory with CV joints, instead of U joints?

Opinions on using CV, instead of U-Joints?

84-86 had CV shafts.
As said, U-joints are stronger. Is why quite a few people who run ZJ's swap in u-joint shafts.

ZJ CV shafts and XJ U-joint shafts are direct swaps. I ran the CVs for a while. They were quieter / smoother and dirt cheap - like $65 / side new from Rock Auto.
That being said, I wish I'd kept both sets of U-joint shafts I had. I couldn't for the life of me keep the CV boots from tearing / spitting grease, the joints themselves got loose stupid-fast & the strength just isn't there if you are going to wheel it much.
For a street XJ... I'd probably run CVs again and just find a quality boot kit. For 'wheeling, go with 760x U-joints.

I had a 94 ZJ that came from the factory with CV axle shafts, very smooth. They held up well to my mostly beach & snow driving type of off roading.

84-86 had CV shafts.
As said, U-joints are stronger. Is why quite a few people who run ZJ's swap in u-joint shafts.

yup & most full time 4wd zjs came that way in the axle and driveshaft. I swapped all our zj cv's to u-joints no problem....

very rare and old on the xj....

Resurrecting an old thread!
Buddy of mine who lives in Severe Snow & Salt land (Western NY) swears by CV front shafts over u joints. He & his wife drive an 01 XJ & an 00 GC during bad weather only (Usually from Nov-Apr in western NY), he does not wheel them, just snowy roads. He feels, In the Salt, the booted CV axles hold up better, he first noticed that he was wearing out u joints every 3 years or so on the Xj, they were just corroding away (he uses dana/Spicer u joints). The GC CV shafts lasted 10 years before a boot gave in & the CV started making a racket.
Just another take on the CV vs U-Joint thing.

Its true that u-joints wear out fast when driven in the snow, that's why I use greasables and purge them with every oil change, makes them last a lot longer

I've never had issues with non greasable spicers lasting 150k in new england.

I've never had issues with non greasable spicers lasting 150k in new england.

i too have never had issues with non-greasables and actually prefer them.

some people like CV shafts because if/when they break they dont take out the ball joints like u-joints are known to do.

i too have never had issues with non-greasables and actually prefer them.

some people like CV shafts because if/when they break they dont take out the ball joints like u-joints are known to do.

My buddy told me he has another reason for liking them, He says he can get a brand new pair (Passenger & drivers side) for $60, The most expensive ones Rock Auto sells are still around $100 a set!
Dirt Cheap!
Maybe I'll try a pair this year instead of replacing my U-Joints.

If I used a Cherokee as a winter rat it would get CVs in the front.

I used to swear by greaseable joints. Still do.

Just gotta make sure the passages to all 4 caps are open. Otherwise one cap goes pop :(

I use my xj as a beach buggy for surf fishing & as a winter weather transport, Salt is my XJ's worst enemy & it's one tough unforgiving enemy to have, I think I'm going to give the CV shafts a shot,
Can anyone recommend a brand of cv shafts to use, who makes the shafts for jeep?

PS: Does anyone make a boot that can be used to cover the U-Joints ?
Smear a quality grease over a sealed U-Joint, install the boot, seems ideal, strength of the U-Joint + the corrosion protection of a CV shaft!

Last edited:
Back