• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB buy list opinions

pipewrench

NAXJA Forum User
I know this topic is covered a lot, but there are so many nuances I figured I'd post what I'm thinking about buying before I pull the trigger.

http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/FS2-FS5.htm
Firestik 2 in 5'

https://www.cobra.com/products/professional/29-lx

And of course some high quality coax and suitable bracket.

I've never really had a decent CB setup so I have lots to learn, not really asking about mounting or tuning, I know there is already lots of information about that on the forums...just wondering if those two would be a decent match for casual trail and road use. Thanks

Depends on what you are using it for. I like small compact and removable with controls in the com like the Cobra 75 WXST.

Uniden Pro510XL is a popular compact for Jeeps. Stout steel case, very simple. Mine easily mounted under the glove box near the console using one existing hole and screw and one I had to drill and install a self tapping screw. There are a lot of more involved installs on the forums but this will work for me and really is not much of a reach in the XJ. I also does not interfere with passenger legroom.

http://www.walcottcb.com/uniden-pro510xl-cb-radio-p-533.html?cPath=377_502_379

Not a good microphone cord, but it's only $50 and a good replacement mic and cord are about $25. There is only ONE replacement mic for this unit since it has a unique connector.

My research when in your position led me to a 4 or 5' Firestick antenna. I got a SS quick disconnect for my antenna to easily remove it for anti-theft or in the trees, car wash, etc. I have since bought a 102" SS whip antenna. With the whip there is no antenna tuning because it is a full 1/4 wave and will give you good SWR without tuning, provided your antenna is properly grounded.. very critical that the antenna has a very good chassis ground. The Firestick is easily tuned with an inexpensive SWR meter. All CB shops will have these and usually or can come in a kit with an 18" pigtail for use with the meter. Instructions on tuning will be included with the meter or the internet retailer will have it somewhere on their website.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/equipment-by-vehicle/jeep-offroad-cb-radio.html

Check out the CB Radio Resources tab on the above website. It will probably teach you a lot.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cobra-29-lx-bt.html The LX-BT is a bit more expensive as it has: (Quote)..."advanced Bluetooth technology. Ideal for "hands free" driving, the Cobra 29 LX BT will pair with your Bluetooth cell phone to receive calls and display text messages on the LCD screen! If your cell phone has voice recognition, you can place cell phone calls and compose text messages through the Bluetooth microphone". NOTE: this CB is manufactured in china, so quality control can be a rather hit, and miss issue. It's your money. Also there is a more expensive Cobra 50th yr. limited edition available through various outlets, and even some 'new' on ebay. Maybe a better QC?

Here is a comparison of some features between two units: http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/cb-radio-forum/50548-uniden-vs-cobra.html Although most parts may be from china, Japan, etc., it seems the Uniden is assembled in Texas.., also it has knobs that are back-lit which is really, really handy during night-time conditions especially if mounted in a darkened area somewhere around your reach.

Some really like the Galaxy 959, made in Malaysia, AND there is an expert in the U.S.A.who offers the 959 with some modifications, (not the kind of tweeks increasing the wattage.., which stresses out the other internal components), but has tweeked it properly, and cushioned the internals against vibrations, (which is about 75 bucks above the usual retail price). Found this expert by googling around.

Back in '79 I used a Realistic radio, and K40 magnetic base with it's quick disconnect antenna, with the K40 power mic they offered. Was a great combo until I fried it in '89 due to chaffing of a wire, lol. I might try to find some old replacement vintage units on ebay, or something, or by going with a new modified/Galaxy. I would not just buy a non-tweeked Galaxy when a tweeked one is available.:eyes:

That all said: google is your evil friend(n). Try search engine https://startpage.com/ :angel:and see what reviews you can find to hone in on what will work best for you.

go Gallaxy! You will not be dissapointed. I run the 98vhp awesome radio.
I agree with the pro 510 or 520 they are great when they get modded. also if your lookin for a mic get a good astatic d104 m6b or an astatic noise canceling mic.

I replaced my 10yr old Pro510 with a Pro520 last summer, not that the 510 didn't work, but the LCD faceplate was warped and falling off and I'd gotten my value out of it.
I tuned the 520 with an SWR before using and it crapped out on me after the 3rd trail run. Transmit works great, but I can only hear responses if I turn the volume way down.....turned up to a normal voice level results in squeal. I tried to eliminate this issue by adjusting the Squelch and ANR, but nothing works.

Not sure if I'll try and get it repaired by Uniden under their 2yr Warranty, or just write it off and snag a new one.

Wow guys, thanks for all the information...I'll look into each of these and figure one out.

Notnsuv, I think I'd really like the 102'' whip from what I've read, just seems like it would be a hassle with going into and out of the garage. I'm going to start researching solutions for that too I guess.
Thanks!

I run a Wilson 1000 roof mount and can bend the tip back and tuck it under my roof rack to get in and out of the garage. My rig is no longer driven daily, so I just unscrew the antenna from the base and use the supplied weather cap to cover the connector. I install the antenna when I need it, take it off when I don't.

Buy a basic Cobra, Midland, or Uniden CB, and see if you want/need any of the added features that come with higher prices on a Galaxy.

102" whips are frowned upon for use on 4x4 trails. A good quality 4-5 foot antenna like the FireStik or a Wilson 1000 will perform very well, and cause fewer hassles.

I run a tuned Uniden PC68 and a Wilson 4' antenna with a Firestick HD spring.

1130121231.jpg

seems like a lot of guys are moving over to amateur radio rigs. From what I've seen a single band 2m rig isn't much more than a CB, and works way better. I'm in the talk to the guy who's going to get life flight out to you camp vs talk to the guy you can see in front of you.

seems like a lot of guys are moving over to amateur radio rigs. From what I've seen a single band 2m rig isn't much more than a CB, and works way better. I'm in the talk to the guy who's going to get life flight out to you camp vs talk to the guy you can see in front of you.

2-meter is the best option. You can use repeaters and transmit much further. CB is good for rig-to-rig communications, not for backwoods emergencies.

I did some reading on 2m today. I didn't realize you didn't have to take the morse code test for the basic license.
I got a beginners ham book 8 or 9 years ago and decided it was a little over my head. I think I may be more apt to understand some things now though. I may give it some thought, it would be pretty neat to have both set up eventually.

It all depends on who you want to talk to and where you are.

99% of the Clubs around the Midwest, including NAXJA, use CB for Trail Communication or have one in the Jeep as a Trail requirement. Those that don't use FRS/GMRS Handhelds.

I recommend having a couple of FRS/GMRS radios in the Jeep. One for you, and one for your buddy who showed up to a trail ride with no radio ;)

I have a used Uniden Pro 510 in the LJ and some flavor of Cobra all in the mic job in the XJ. Antennas are 5/8 wave sticks - the flexiest I could find. Trees are brutal on antennas and antenna mounts, so a flexy 4' stick or bottom load whip like a K40 is the cat's meow. Most Off-Road Parks don't like 102" whips running around. They work awesome, but are dangerous to bystanders when your rig gets rocking back and forth and every tree in sight sees them as an opportunity.

I have a set of Midland FRS rigs which I leave in the rig most of the time. I put a piece of cardboard between the batteries to break the contact (They are "push button - on" models, no "Real" switch) until I use them.

<< Since it was brought up ;) >>

I love Amateur Radio, and though I usually have one in one of the Jeeps, in the last 16 years, there was only once I used one on the trail or heard anyone on a simplex frequency when on the trail. It just doesn't seem to be a Midwest thing <shrug>. Most of the time, the radio is locked into one of the local repeaters for a To/From work chat.

You don't need "Code" for ANY Amateur License anymore, though if you get your license, 99% of hams usually pick it up at some level between good and extremely proficient during their life time.

Questions for all tests are from a published question/answer pool. There are books/websites galore to help you bone up for the test. Local Radio Clubs regularly put on Classes if you want more indepth info and like minded assistance. The ARRL is a good start for finding a local ARC (Amateur Radio Club). Exams are by Volunteer Examiner and are given regularly by most Radio Clubs at Hamfests or separate VE sessions.

The Testing Fee is minuscule and covers the cost of the VE's materials and time. Considering the Operating Privileges you get, and the opportunity to help others, it's a bargain. License renewals are free via the FCC ULS system. Not bad for a Hobby which has so many facets, it's like a Diamond and will keep you busy for life exploring it all.

Passing the test is not the only requirement. The FCC decides your application based on whether granting a license "would serve the public interest, convenience, and necessity". Essentially, they want to know if you will be a threat to the public if they grant you a license. Most folks who apply meet this requirement :)

BTW: It is the 100th Anniversary of the Amateur Radio Relay League (ARRL) :patriot:

-Ron

Buy a basic Cobra, Midland, or Uniden CB, and see if you want/need any of the added features that come with higher prices on a Galaxy.

102" whips are frowned upon for use on 4x4 trails. A good quality 4-5 foot antenna like the FireStik or a Wilson 1000 will perform very well, and cause fewer hassles.

Can i ask why a 102" whip is frowned upon? that's what i run imo its the best antenna and the most durable, and usually the cheapest . I pin mine down on low clearance stuff.

Can i ask why a 102" whip is frowned upon? that's what i run imo its the best antenna and the most durable, and usually the cheapest . I pin mine down on low clearance stuff.

...Most Off-Road Parks don't like 102" whips running around. They work awesome, but are dangerous to bystanders when your rig gets rocking back and forth and every tree in sight sees them as an opportunity....

S
Wow guys, thanks for all the information...I'll look into each of these and figure one out.

Notnsuv, I think I'd really like the 102'' whip from what I've read, just seems like it would be a hassle with going into and out of the garage. I'm going to start researching solutions for that too I guess.
Thanks!

Stainless Steel Quick Disconnect.

And if I'm not too mistaken, where that antenna is located is insanely easy to get to on a '97-'01, just un-clip the dome lamp assembly, punch the hole, and mount the antenna. Take off the pass side windshield trim (Inside), and push the coax though the opening. Run it down to behind the glovebox, button it all up, mount the raddidio (Power is under the Pass side kickplate), check the SWR, and start yacking :D

There are some real good reviews of this antenna. Easy to setup & outstanding performance.

-Ron

Can i ask why a 102" whip is frowned upon?

It's called a whip for a reason, you can do some real damage to folks standing beside the 4x4 trails.

The dome lamp or optional overhead console can be removed and a you have direct access to the roof for a permanent antenna install.

Wilson 1000 magnet mount works well also.

orig.jpg

Back