• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 TW SYE or RE H+T

Kendellgil

NAXJA Forum User
I've done a lot of reading old threads about sye and H+T on 242s, I noticed some of the earlier posts about the TW kit had issues with leaks. I was hoping to hear from people from both sides on which method has been the most trouble free.

Thanks.

I used the TW kit/shaft for my 1999 242 case. It was an easy install with the proper flat nose snap ring pliers and the TW instructions. I took my time (slow) and did the install with no prior experience in about three hours. I left the case installed on the Jeep as I had plenty of room with the four inch lift. I used Permatex Right Stuff sealant and had no leaks. Not sure if required but, I let it cure for 24 hours before adding the oil back in. Be careful when putting it back together that you get everything lined up especially the oil pump and pick up tube. Most difficult task was aligning everything back up with only two hands.

No noises and no leaks. It shifts great. It was installed about 20,000 miles ago.

I would do it the same way today If I needed to. No regrets.

I have no experience with any other SYE so I cannot say which is best.

Good luck

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I had read a view comments saying it was recommended to remove the entire transfer case on the 242 models. I'll probably just go the TW route as it seems like a better finished product.

I got the newer HD version from TW last summer pretty soon after it came out. I installed it in about 3 hours as well. No leaks, but I have never had a problem sealing stuff with RTV. I screwed up a couple things and had to take it apart and put it back together a couple times. Try really hard to not mess up the o-ring on the speedo gear piece. I don't think you can get the actual designed size for it and I had a hard time finding one at the parts stores that was the same size. That was probably the hardest part for me.

Like was said, take your time to make sure everything is done right like the oil tube. Also I would suggest doing the project on a weekday so that if you have any problems they will be there to answer calls.

I prefer the H+T on the 242. Its hard for me to justify the cost of the TW parts when I can do the H+T for under $160 including the shaft.

I got the newer HD version from TW last summer pretty soon after it came out. I installed it in about 3 hours as well. No leaks, but I have never had a problem sealing stuff with RTV. I screwed up a couple things and had to take it apart and put it back together a couple times. Try really hard to not mess up the o-ring on the speedo gear piece. I don't think you can get the actual designed size for it and I had a hard time finding one at the parts stores that was the same size. That was probably the hardest part for me.

Like was said, take your time to make sure everything is done right like the oil tube. Also I would suggest doing the project on a weekday so that if you have any problems they will be there to answer calls.

theres an HD version for the 242? i thought he basically did the hack and tap himself and sent it to you?

theres an HD version for the 242? i thought he basically did the hack and tap himself and sent it to you?

The old one was kind of like that. The HD has a new shaft that comes with it and no core charge (at least when I got mine). The shaft that came with it is much heavier and thicker than the original. It is a

As far as the price goes, at $700 it is quite expensive, but that does come with a brand new drive shaft. I don't know if it is still that price. I feel that it is worth it.

ETA: If you search on here there are some threads about it. I came out about a year ago I guess.

Last edited:
IMHO it depends on which 242 case you have. If you have a late model 242 then I would use the Tom Woods kit. If you have an early model a hack and tap would work.

The Tom Woods SYE is a re-machined 242 output shaft. The late model 242s (96+) have a longer output shaft than the early model 242s. If you are running an early 242 then the H&T is a good option.

I installed the Tom Woods (TW) kit in my 1999 242 case. In my opinion, the TW kit is the only way to go for the late model 242 case. The output shaft is shorter after TW modifies it.

FYI, the Tom Woods machined shaft is a stock shaft that is machined but it is not fair to call it a hack and tap IMHO. The TW shaft is shorter than a do it yourself hack and tap. He machines the splines further up the shaft than the shaft originally came with. That gives you a shorter output shaft which gives you a better angle to the rear end. In addition, the output bearing is closer to the output yoke for better support.

mainshaftsty231oevsmod.jpg

See the attached PIC for comparison

The install is not that difficult. I did it in my garage by myself and left the T case in place. The lift was on and I had plenty of room. Instructions are good but a good set of external snap ring pliers with the flat tips are a MUST. I was slow and did it in 3-4 hours. The most difficult part was installing the back case half holding the case, pump and pump suction tube in place without getting sealant all over myself. Good sealant is highly recommended. I used some stuff I got at Napa and no leaks. It is called the "Right Stuff".

Then when you are done you will have a yoke output instead of a flange output with the H&T.

The TW kits is more expensive because it is more parts and machine work. It also includes a TW CV drive shaft. There was a $400 core charge on my original 242 output shaft. Once he checks your output shaft and it is not bent you will get a credit of $400 back from TW.

I was not aware that TW offers an HD option for the 242 case. If so, I would consider that option.

Last edited:
Honestly, I would just go with a hack n tap. You'll be breaking other things before you start breaking the transfercase main shaft. I have had the RE hack n tap with a stock front driveshaft for years. Never a problem. I have busted a driveshaft before and the hack n tap is totally fine.

Thanks for all the input on this. Once I get my new axle and lift installed I will give TW a call and ask about the hd shaft option for the 242

H&T is more than enough. It's not like an XJ has a really short rear drive shaft that needs extreme measures to keep the angles sane. There's better places to spend money IMO.

Back