• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Chains - Stirring it up

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
I've been watching a lot You Tube whelling videos with XJs and others. Especially interested in the snow runs, mishaps, etc.

Is there some unwriten rule about the use/non-use of tire chains? I can't count the times I've watched folks in the snow, or on tough trails in the snow where they just aren't getting it done and I know from experience that chains would solve the issue and greatly reduce the need to drag out the winch cable, and if you're 'destination' driven would save a boatload of time. I've had guys tell me if you have the right tires chains aren't any better than the 'right tire' and I know from lots of experience that is nonsense. I will at least carry one set for an emergency situation since over the years (lots of them) I can't count the times the chains either kept me out of or got me out of a bad situation. I consider the XJ to be sort of a smaller version of the Chevy Suburban (I've owned a couple big block 2500 burbs) as far as weight distribution. The heavier (than a pickup) rear makes the burb far superior to a pickup in the snow and with chains on 2 or 4 wheels are nearly instoppable. Haven't done it with the XJ yet and with little snow here might not this year. But I would expect much the same results - then add lockers and a lift and I can't see why they wouldn't be simply amazing. On a stock or close to stock rig would surprise a lot of folks that they might keep up with the modifieds and not have to turn around and go home.

I get it that clearance might be an issue by adding chains but I'll leave the swaybar connected if necessary to eliminate that issue.

Just curious if there's some taboo.:dunno:

Gary

Screw what anybody thinks. I grew up where we got 300+ inches of snow a year. I don't care what tires you have, chains make a difference. You have to know how to get them good and tight and I always use snubbers, ideally on both the inside and outside. If you turn too short and rub your arms, you will not try it again.

Screw what anybody thinks. I grew up where we got 300+ inches of snow a year. I don't care what tires you have, chains make a difference. You have to know how to get them good and tight and I always use snubbers, ideally on both the inside and outside. If you turn too short and rub your arms, you will not try it again.

Totally agree, and your inside snubber is correct as well. When you drive right by them without spinning a tire... opinions don't mean much.
And on ice: might be your only chance.

Old men Unite!

http://www.tirechainsupply.com/

And they can be mounted on the spare and locked if necessary for transport. Like a winch, not used a lot, but if needed only once are priceless.

I've went thru some pretty deep stuff and I've never had any snow issues with my 35x14.50's :)

I've never came across ice so I can only base my opinions on powder/shallow/deep snow.

And these out did Mickie thompsons, KM2's and pro comp mud terrains hands down, by far the best mud/snow tire I own!

And chains are of no use... They just fall into the voids of the tires :)

We don't get enough snow around here to use them personally, but I've had plenty of experience. My grandpa owns a cabin way out in the middle of nowhere in the Sierra Nevada's. I've been out there countless times with him, and watched it pour 2 feet of snow overnight. The "roads" always seemed to have a super packed thick base of snow. He would throw the chains on his TWO WHEEL DRIVE Chevy silverado and go about his business as usual. Can't go very quick though, but ill be damned if he ever got anywhere close to stranded.

I wheeled for years without them, and in the last 5 years, a few times with them. Bolted tires work even better, but changing out tires when you drove to the trail can be a bother.

We have an area up north a bit which is hilly, and when covered with snow/ice can be a real challenge getting around. I did that a few times and decided to try cables on the old Zuk. Night and Day difference.

When I had a YJ, I put actual Chains on it, but I hated the tangled mess they became and the work that went into them making them straight again while hanging out in the snow/cold. However, again, they made a huge difference if you were not hung on the axles or frame.

The YJ Chains died, but I just got done ordering 2pr cables for the XJ. I figure something is better than nothing :)

-Ron

Back