• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hatch locked and won't unlock - how to open?

bigalpha

As the title says: the hatch is locked, won't unlock and thus won't open.

I crawled in the back and started trying to pry the panel off to reach in and manual unlock it but was concerned about how the panel is attached. It seemed like the hatch panel is like the door panels - christmas tree fasteners at the bottom and a lip at the top.

Thoughts?

On my ‘00XJ, there are 4 screws on top of the panel and 2 screws on each side of the glass, behind the struts. The bottom part is retained by those plastic “christmas tree” pins. The side screws are difficult to see or access, so you may need to remove all plastics around the rear side glass and also remove the spare tire.

Once the panel is removed, you will see a small vertical lever that came loose from the bracket “grips” on the right side of the latch. I use a length of a small copper wire to wrap around the grips and the lever to secure back in its place. Wire works better than tie-wraps.

I have had to do this a few times (different Jeeps) just get what screws you can with the hatch closed iirc you can really only get at the 2 Torx screws in the handle.

pry the bottom until the "Christmas trees" pop free and the whole bottom of the panel will hang loose but still be attached at the top because of the screws that are unreachable. Removing your spare or the other side trim doesn't help you get to any more of the screws afaik. From there you can reach right in the top there and pop it open.

This flexes the hatch plastic a bit but it is pretty tough just don't go yanking it around or it will break. I would recommend leaving the hatch plastic off for a week or so while you make sure your fix holds. Mine is super glued and zip tied in multiple directions with the thicker zip ties.

I have considered adding a pull handle for the inside a few times, it would be easy once you look at how the lock works.

That's an excellent idea. Next time I have my hatch plastic off (and it will happen, my latch is getting sticky again) I might consider cutting a small hole in the hatch and putting a nylon or leather strap through as a safety release similar to the trunk of a newer car.

Alpha's jeep is a pre 97, just pull the panel off, those clips always snap anyway. you can always put it back on with self tapping screws later.

once it's off you should easily be able to see the latch mechanism, there is an access hole in the fiberglass hatch so you can get to it and trip the lock.

Problem might be body twist binding the latch and hatch. Are you parked on a weird slope? Park the other way around or on flat ground. This might unbind the latch.

Oh I hope not LOL that would require inhuman strength and special tools...:roflmao:

as soon as I saw the post title I started thinking bimmerjeeper and started laughing

On my 89 XJ, it was possible to access the bolts to
the hatch retainer from underneath the bumper.

Don't know when the latch was changed...

I have always had good luck taking the license plate off, prying out the lower driver side plastic insert (revealing a small square hole) and using a long flat blade screwdriver to lift the threaded metal rod latch mechanism on the driver side of the latch. I have done it a few times now and can get it done in less than 30 seconds.

nevermind.

I smashed the trim panel and bought a new one at the junkyard for $5. Mine had cracks through all the mounting screw holes along the edges anyways.

Even scrubbed the new one before installing it. Net improvement.

I have always had good luck taking the license plate off, prying out the lower driver side plastic insert (revealing a small square hole) and using a long flat blade screwdriver to lift the threaded metal rod latch mechanism on the driver side of the latch. I have done it a few times now and can get it done in less than 30 seconds.

Hmmm..... Gone in 30 Seconds? :yap:

Back