• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB ant mounting options

hoosier92xj

NAXJA Forum User
So I am new to jeeps. I picked up a 92 xj in trade (in a round about way) for my 92 runner that I built into (my idea) the perfect rig. Anyways I now have my first Jeep. One thing I find important is having a cb for communication. Now mounting my ant to keep it as safe as possible. I run an oil cooled whip that is fairly strong but I cant afford to break it. Where have the gods of the XJs on this site found to mount an ant? I have been looking around to try to figure it out. I have seen a few mounted on the side in the back but I drug my yota down large rocks many times so I don't think that will work but any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I think what i am going to do is since the whip is the only part that needs to be above the vechile i am going to build a mount that attaches on the inside of the hatch and wraps around the edge placing the ant behind the xj until i build my rear tire carrier and then i will attach it to that

Welcome over to NAXJA, hoosier. For the terrain we wheel in here in Utah, I've found a whip mount on the center of the roof provides the best performance and also protection from trail obstacles. I run a 60" base-loaded Wilson 1000, mounted directly above the front dome light. This location also provided the most favorable ground plane for reception.

http://www.wearecb.com/how-to-install-a-cb-antenna.html

The only challenge with this mounting location is garage door clearance. The Wilson handles this by providing a threaded cap for the base mount, so I can unscrew the antenna and remove it for clearance when not in use and cap the threaded connection to keep the weather out.

I think what i am going to do is since the whip is the only part that needs to be above the vechile i am going to build a mount that attaches on the inside of the hatch and wraps around the edge placing the ant behind the xj until i build my rear tire carrier and then i will attach it to that

Mine's mounted on the JCR tire carrier that came with a mounting tab with 3 holes in the center behind the spare tire, directly behind the bottom of the wiper. I'm running a 102" whip, alternating with a 5' Firestic, depending on whether I anticipate trees, etc. Plenty of antenna above the roof line.

I also have one of these on each antenna: http://www.walcottcb.com/hustler-qd...ck-disconnect-p-264.html?cPath=377_28_444_577

Handier'n a hip pocket and prevents theft. Be sure to get the SS model.

Considering getting a HH Ham. Reading on one of the expedition portals how anyone can xmit in an emergency. That's all it would be (for now).

My cb is turned up and i have found if i run a non-cooled ant the ant gets REALLY hot. My oil cooled one works well. Just trying to.protect the bulb

My cb is turned up and i have found if i run a non-cooled ant the ant gets REALLY hot. My oil cooled one works well. Just trying to.protect the bulb

What kind of wattage are you putting out that will make the antenna get hot?

I am.not sure. When i was living in washington there was a guy who lived in tacoma who.offered to "tinker" with my radio. Now it rocks. On the freeway my range is crazy.

For the terrain we wheel in here in Utah, I've found a whip mount on the center of the roof provides the best performance and also protection from trail obstacles. I run a 60" base-loaded Wilson 1000, mounted directly above the front dome light. This location also provided the most favorable ground plane for reception.
The Wilson handles this by providing a threaded cap for the base mount, so I can unscrew the antenna and remove it for clearance when not in use and cap the threaded connection to keep the weather out.

In most terrain, the center of the roof is the best location for both protection and performance. On my 01, both the CB and ham-band antenna are mounted up there. Spring load bases are recommended.

If you plan on traveling in out of the way places, going to a 2-meter/440 radio can give much better range and access to mountain top repeaters.
Many times when we have a big group, the leader and rear vehicle often lose contact over CB, where the 2-meter radio works fine

SWR meters are not expensive and are good to have for periodic testing.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ase&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_base
Antennas often develop problems that may not be noticeable but are detectable with a SWR meter.
Since probably none of your friends own one, you can tune their antennas for a six pack. A meter could pay for itself very quickly.

Wilson 1000, mag mount, center of the roof.

David Bricker / SYR

If memory serves... The CB radio antenna operates in what some call a "ground plane" mode. What this means is that the shape of the transmitted signal will be largely determined by the shape of the mounting surface.

The ideal location is dead center of the vehicle. Not the center of the roof as the hood surface acts as part of the plane.

If the antenna is mounted at the right rear corner, it will "throw" the signal towards the front left as that is where the majority of the plane exists. Same thing holds for any other than perfectly centered mounting location.

Is this a major issue? No, not really. Folk have been mounting glass whip antennas for decades on top of the cowl area, opposite of the car radio antenna, without major problems. Will is bias the operation? Yes, it will.

Do you have to run a 102" antenna? No. That length is actually a quarter wave antenna. Not a full wave as the wave length of the CB is roughly 36 feet...

The common glass whip is an eighth wave (54") antenna and works just fine. Antenna configuration does not become "critical" until one gets into running 2 meter radio. Then, it matters. For a CB? Not so much as long as the SWR (standing Wave Ratio) is as close to correct as possible. Some radios today have an SWR meter built into them otherwise, purchase a meter in order to tune the antenna.

Here is a link to explain: http://www.rightchannelradios.com/tuning-cb-antenna-adjusting-swr

It is easy to get lost in the minutia of antennas.

I do have to remind you that this is all "if I remember correctly" in nature. The last time I took an ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League) antenna course was in 1967...

Back