• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Headlight Stone Guards?

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
Now that I've upgraded to expensive H4 headlights I'm looking for stone guards for them. No luck so far. Used to have some on my old CJ.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Gary

ive seen wire grid stuff just formed around to fit it like on the YJ's and so on... pretty basic to make.... not sure ive seen em made for the XJ

Yeah, kinda figured that when I couldn't find them on the net. Used to have the grids on my old '75 CJ and hoped they made some for the rectangular lights. Never hurts to ask. Sure I can make them but some things are soo much easier to buy when available.

Thanks.

A few years back I bought a set of plexiglass headlamp covers from J C Whitney. They came in clear and smoked. I bought the clear ones. I used them when I was running around the woods for protection. They are held on with small pieces of velcro. They did what they were intended to do. I think they are better then the mesh ones, especially for stones and gravel. I forgot I had them till I read this post.

Not sure if the lights are the same size. Setup is different, but I have seen the "protectors" on YJ's They have rect. lights.

Guess I'm still learning how to use the forum. On the related threads below was listed some links. Found what I'm after on ebay (which I almost never use). Was after the mesh guards, not the full covers. If they stop one rock they've tripled their cost. Will have to see how much they interfere with my new beams.

Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wire-Stone-Rock-Guard-Kit-for-2-Rectangle-Headlights-Fits-Most-Vehicles/121257495199?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222008%26algo%3DSIC.MOTORS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083349%26meid%3D4485918575506220936%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140107083349%26rk%3D0%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D111256710542#ht_326wt_1105

H4 lights are expensive? $40 a pair?

I had mine for 6 years, 50k miles of road and offroad. Got one small crack in one light and it didn't affect a thing. The glass on those is seriously thick.

Cibie are $70+ per.
Results may vary.

Last edited:
The only headlights I have ever had break was a set of Autopals, with their paper thin housings. Both blew of them out on a week long trip to Death Valley.
High quality housings rarely break. I have been running the same set of IPFs for years. Now, the under the bumper fog lights is a another story.

The only headlights I have ever had break was a set of Autopals, with their paper thin housings. Both blew of them out on a week long trip to Death Valley.
High quality housings rarely break. I have been running the same set of IPFs for years. Now, the under the bumper fog lights is a another story.

Hey Lazy,

I see ACOS in your sig line. Like them? Off topic but thinking of ACOS + 1 or 2" lift shackles rear to get more room for 33s. Would do Prothane also if I have to pull the springs anyway.

Google headlight protection and you will come with a lot of options. xpel, lamin-x, weathertech, etc. Its the thick vinyl you apply, but it does work well. And since you have the Cibies get the pair without the cutouts for the alignment nipples.

Ordered the black mesh from ebay for $15 , link in my previous post. Those are what I preferred anyway. Kinda like the old school/low tech thing.

I'll still look at your recommendation tho'.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I see ACOS in your sig line. Like them? Off topic but thinking of ACOS + 1 or 2" lift shackles rear to get more room for 33s. Would do Prothane also if I have to pull the springs anyway.
I like the ACOS a lot. I have changed the front lift many times and its great for leveling when adding weight or if off level side to side.
To fit 33"s, a 4" lift gives enough up-travel without being too high.

Thanks for the reply. I'm about to install the new Rusty's body armor/fender flares on my '99 with OME 3.5" Super Ultimate. I'm running 31s now so will see how it all shakes out for clearance after the required trimming and decide if I can get 33s on/in there with correct bumpstops. I'm thinking a 1" rear shackle and the ACOS might be exactly what I need. The OME kit has 1.75" spacers so those can go away and I'll still have range for adjustment.

Sorry for the off topic; we're a long way from headlight guards.. but I'm the OP so should get me off the hook for hijacking the thread.

Back