• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Freeze out! Two leaks from the freeze

sjx40250

NAXJA Forum User
Well I thought I had enough antifreeze but now I have two leaks. :tear: One in the back and one in the front.
The back is likely a freeze plug that will require removal of the transmission:mad:. It is leaking out the bell housing on the right side where the plugs are. I can do that.

I can't locate the front one. It is dripping from the timing cover case and there is indication of a leak on top of the water pump. I suspect I should fill the coolant up and start it until it is warm and figure out where it is leaking. Perhaps someone has good insite to where it might be. My thought include the WP seal blowing out. It is a Koolflow pump that has lasted over 100K miles.

I don't think there is a freeze plug on the front of the block or head. Is this true?

Thoughts?

If it really froze, you may have a lot more problems than that. I have seen more than a few cracked blocks/heads in my time. Your water pump will not like it at all.

They call them freeze plugs because sometimes they help if it doesn't freeze hard, but they are really are there to aid in the casting process.

Watch your oil and coolant for intermingling.

I'm with Old_man here frozen water in a closed space is ALWAYS bad news.

sounds like you're on the right track i'd suspect the seal in the waterpump as well. usually if its leaking out of the weep hole in the pump you can run the engine for a bit, then shut it down and feel the inside of the pulley on the waterpump. if it's wet in there the seal on the pump is shot.

I don't think it froze hard. The plugs are fine on the side of the block. I ran it for a couple of days before noticing the water coming out. Nothing in the oil.

I had checked the anti-freeze and thought it was @ good for 10 and then added a little more straight anti-freeze in the bottle and ran it to distribute. I think it was on the hairy edge. The leak is not large flow, but a constant drip that lasted over 24 hours after discovery.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Back