• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Second opinions on A/C clutch

pipewrench

NAXJA Forum User
So I have read a lot of threads the past few days on here and a few other forums. Just wanted to describe my issue and clarify what I think is the best solution.

I have a 99 sport with about 133k on it. The other day I started hearing a new noise that sounds like a bearing going out. I believe I isolated it to the AC compressor.

When I turn the A/C on, the noise stops. From my reading it seems like the culprit is the clutch or the bearing for the compressor itself. Being a 1999 it seems like it is not serviceable, or if it is serviceable its not worth the trouble.

So is the general consensus to change the whole compressor? This is not a DD, simply a toy vehicle so If that is the case I will be bypassing it.

Like I said, I feel like thats what I have gathered, just found a few conflicting post here and there. Thanks for the help.

Probably cheaper to source an AC compressor than to buy parts to fix it.

Sounds like the bearing in the A/C pulley has fail, the most common problem.
It is possible to change the bearing but good luck. I destroyed a good pulley figuring it out before getting right on the second pulley, which is now carried as a spare.
The bearing that fits the compressors in the 2000/2001s (and most likely yours) is a 35BD219DUK
http://www.amazon.com/35BD219DUK-A-C-Clutch-Bearing/dp/B004IMK19G

My 01's clutch and pulley died several years ago, the day before our summer vacation. Finding that clutch replacements were not available and not having time to play around with it, i bought a rebuilt compressor. The clutch and pulley were removed and installed on the original compressor. This eliminated having the A/C system vacuumed and recharge, getting us on the road in a few hours. I still using the original compressor years later.

So I would be better off to replace the clutch and pulley, but you cannot purchase a replacement clutch.
I think I'll look for a rebuilt compressor and scavenge the parts like you, $54.99 seems expensive for just the bearing.
I wish you could buy a kit that came with new clutch/pulley.

do you have a u-pull-it scrap yard near you? maybe they would let you pull a pulley assembly off without having to break open the system to take the compressor? worth a shot to save a few bux.

Back