• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission issues

Seeker

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I have 96 XJ with the AW4... It stopped being able to go into first in overdrive. It will get there eventually. If I drop it into 1st then it will go and then I can shift it into overdrive. As fun as it is having a manual I'd like to fix this. I have read online that it may be the tcu. A buddy picked up a couple tcu's from on at boneyard sale from 91's. then I read that it needed to be from 92-96. Yesterday I found a 96 at the junkyard but the serial number didn't match. I bought it anyways and I am having the same problem. Should I give up on the tcu or forgot the cash for one on ebay?

... I have read online that it may be the tcu.

It's more likely the TCU is not getting power.

I don't have the manual for the 1996 so I can't tell you which fuses to check.

Look up the fuse info and check it/them to make sure they are good. If they're OK, then you need to check the voltage at the TCU to make sure it's got what it needs. If the voltage is low you need to check the wiring and connectors to find the problem.

It's more likely the TCU is not getting power.

I don't have the manual for the 1996 so I can't tell you which fuses to check.

Look up the fuse info and check it/them to make sure they are good. If they're OK, then you need to check the voltage at the TCU to make sure it's got what it needs. If the voltage is low you need to check the wiring and connectors to find the problem.

Sorry I am noob but how to I check the connectors. With a multimeter? There is a bunch of pin sockets in there. Where do I put the testing cables?

Have you adjust the TV (Throttle Valve) cable? If it is out of adjustment, the transmission will not willingly shift into OD or lock the torque converter. Tons of threads here on the "how to".

Over time, the cable tends to stretch as all cables are want to do. Just ask anyone who owns an older motorcycle...

Sometimes, it is the simpler solution.

If memory serves... If the TCU fails then you get first gear only in the 1-2 shifter position and third gear only in the 3 and OD positions. Neither will the torque converter lock in any gear.

This is the default "limp home" mode of operation. If the transmission is shifting at all, then I would not tend to suspect the TCU.

Given that you have replaced the TCU and continue to experience the same symptoms, I would look elsewhere.

Side note: The torque converter will lock in second gear as well as third and fourth provided all is well with the system.

Update: a friend help me check to see that power was going to the tcu. I got a new oem tcu and it still having the same issues. What's next? Time for the tranny shop? A friend said cables. Neighbor said the screen....

Are there any MIL (CEL) Codes being generated? Do you have access to an OBDII code reader? I believe that most parts houses will read the codes for free. Might help...

Na I have three of them I believe I have the same issue u have... Once I drive a few miles an get to a red light she will slip I have to shut it dwn and restart to get pressure... Trans has 340 k on it with a refurbished converter.. I changed filter two times so far.. Soon to be third time that buys me a few gd weeks of hard wheelin

Back