• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to me MJ (lots of work to follow)

DO95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I have decided that after years of wanting a Comanche now is the time. I have managed to find a 1990 MJ Pioneer 2wd 4.0 AW4 with 100kmi that is rust free (amazing find for a northern ohio dweller). I will be driving to load it on the trailer in the morning.

I have been driving my 1995 XJ sport for the better part of the last 10 years now.

It is finally time for it to be retired, I've replaced the floors once already and lost the battle with the rusty rockers. Runs like new though even with 218kmi and more daily.

I would like to convert the MJ to be 4wd using the parts from the XJ. After doing some light research I should be able to use the trans, transfer, front axle/suspension, and front shaft from the XJ, correct?

Also I would like to eventually swap the full gauge cluster from the XJ and replace the idiot lights in the MJ. And convert the bench seat to buckets from the XJ along with the center console and overhead console. Can I use these parts from the XJ?

Lastly, for now at least, the MJ has the auto gear shift on the column, the XJ trans shift is of course on the transmission tunnel, when (and only if I can use the XJ trans) I swap the trans can I delete the column shift and use the floor shift from the XJ?

Basically I would like to cannibalize the XJ of everything I can to make the MJ alittle nicer and slightly more comfortable. Such as power locks/windows, seats, consoles, and anything else I may be able too. So any help as to what is transferable from the XJ to the MJ would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for any answers and hopefully direction to threads that may deal with these subjects. Pics of MJ to be added once I have it home tomorrow.

The cluster is not easy swap since the MJ is Renix and the XJ is HO. The XJ seats don't flip forward, so they're not ideal for an MJ.

Last edited:
you can use anything from the XJ on the MJ, except the cluster wont work because the XJ is a HO and the MJ is renix. different speedometer setups, among other things. to put the bucket seats in the MJ you will need to find some brackets from an MJ with buckets. might be difficult to track down, but i got lucky and found some at the junkyard.

why do you want to convert to floor shift? i have the column shift on my MJ and love it

Bummer about the gauge cluster, I hate the idiot lights. I was thinking of converting to floor shift because I plan on swapping the XJ center console into the MJ and my current 4wd trans is already floor shift from the XJ.

You can still put in a full gauge cluster. You just need to find one from a 87-90 XJ or MJ.

Looks like a good starting point. Mine was in similar condition. It was a former Colorado truck that I bought off someone in Huntsville, Ontario. He never got around to the project and sold it off before his daughter's idiot boyfriend destroyed it (or so I'm told). Mine is stripped down but I haven't touched it since I did the strip down. Rolled it around the garage while making space for house renos and other projects. <sigh />

Looking forward to your build to get some motivation. :)

I used a 96 XJ interior in my 89 XJ. I made brackets for the seats and even used the XJ carpet just cut it to fit.

0709111649.jpg

0709111648.jpg

I used a 1990 XJ cluster ans for a gear indicator I used an Ididit, it works awesome!

I hate D-35's so I used the 8.25 out of a XJ. Just cut the old spring perches off and weld on some new ones. I stayed spring under and went with Hellcreek AAL's on the rear for 3" lift. they have held up very good 3 years now.

0711111901.jpg

I picked up a cheap kobalt tool box for the truck bed. Does anyone have any ideas on how to mount it to the truck bed? It has 4 bolt holes per side of box but I would like to see if anyone has come up with a way to mount a box without drilling holes in the truck bed.

I also have a Kobalt box that I got for cheap (free). I went ahead and drilled holes in the bed for solid attachment, since my bed already had some holes in it.

Lowes does have a no-drill install kit. Item number 8609 and costs $24.99. I'll pick up one of these kits when I swap out my bed. My new bed has no holes in it and I don't want to drill any new ones.

I also have a Kobalt box that I got for cheap (free). I went ahead and drilled holes in the bed for solid attachment, since my bed already had some holes in it.

Lowes does have a no-drill install kit. Item number 8609 and costs $24.99. I'll pick up one of these kits when I swap out my bed. My new bed has no holes in it and I don't want to drill any new ones.

I saw these at lowes today and picked a set up. With it being only 10* outside today I only got to try mounting them really quick to the bed rail. I am not sure if they will work, I couldn't get them to tighten against the bed rail, seems as if there isn't enough for them to grab onto. I will try again in a few days when the temps finally rise above 0* again, and post my results so you don't waste your money or time if they don't work.

Back