• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horn issues

Bamajeepguy

NAXJA Forum User
Hello out there, I am new to NAXJA and jeeps in general. Went from a 97 Jetta to a 91 XJ (Briarwood). Talk about a change! I am somewhat knowledgable when it comes to anything automotive. Here's the issue. When the horn is depressed there's a click from the relay. I'm not sure but I think this means relay and wiring for it are good; however the horns do not sound. I have several friends with this same issues on their XJ's. Apologies if this an amateur posting.

The two horns are behind the bumper on each side. They usually rust and stop working. There is a single connection on each them that you can check for corrosion.

My horns died a few weeks ago when I was 'modifying' stuff, and I blew a fuse on the same block. Check there first.

Use a test light.
Probe the connector with the.sharp end, and clip the alligator end to a ground. Preferably one you have tested on the battery.

Have someone hit the horn button. If it lights up, your horns are shot. If no light, then power is.not.being.supplied.

It us also possible that the horns are not grounding grab the.horn and give it a little twist (you may break the horn doing this, make it your last step before buying new horns)

Back