• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch grinding issue

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
Seems to grind when Im going into gear if I do it gentle...But if I do it super fast like a race car it doesn't grind...Also it can grind pretty good going into reverse...The p.o moved it to external MC so I am wondering if this ould be part of the culprit? To me it seems like the clutch is slipping or going out, but the clutch AFAIK is brand new?

Not sure about your first issue, but I do have a suggestion for the reverse grind.

Reverse is a straight cut gear typically with an idler as opposed to your helical speed and counter shaft gears. When you try to shift into reverse, the input shaft or counter shaft may still be spinning at such a speed that engagement of the reverse gear includes a grind. Try shifting to 4th gear, typically direct drive, which will slow the shaft and counter shaft enough that sliding into reverse is much easier.

you're talking the transmission gears grinding right? the clutch works normally?

try replacing the transmission oil. I had pretty good luck with mobil 1 10w30 engine oil. you DO NOT want to use gear oil in that gear box I forget the exact specs, but the recommended gear oil contains sulphur which will ruin the brass synchronizers.

There's also some royal purple gear oil that works in the AX15, but it's super expensive.. I'd try the big jug of mobil 1 from wal mart first.

give it a little time before you declare it a failure on the gear grinding issue, it seems like it takes a little while for new oil to get into all the spaces in a gearbox.

If this doesn't work, your synchros are probably fried and you should start looking for a scrapyard gear box.

Back