• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HVAC backlight repair on 89 panel

Cookmatt67

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know how to repair/ replace the backlight bulbs on the early style HVAC panel? mine is an 89 and all the backlighting is out.

Take off the dash cover panel first, should be 4 or 5 Phillips head screws.. 2 above cluster, one above headlight switch and one above cigarette lighter. Then just remove the 4 screws that hold on the climate control unit and there will just be one light located behind it on the right side, give the plastic piece that the light sits in a twist and it will come right out of the unit. Be careful when twisting the light out because the plastic is normally brittle and tends to break. After that the little bulb just pulls straight out.

Exactly what Thanasi85 said but note that:

1) once those 4 screws are removed, you will still need to
a) remove the small half moon shaped cover under the steering wheel (pulls straight down)
b) work a screwdriver under the panel to pop the friction locks free

Those light connectors are very flimsy so don't be surprised if you break them. When this happens to me, I simply reinstall in place and add a small dab of aquarium sealer to the edge, let it sit for 30 min and reinstall. The aquarium sealer can be purchased at any Home Depot and is nice for these types of issues because it remains pliable forever so if you ever have to go in there again, it is easy to remove AND reinstall.

HTH
Todd

Make sure the vacuum lines are still plugged into the switch when re installing.They may slide off and leak so the mixer/switch won't work.Then it will be only blowing out the defroster

Make sure the vacuum lines are still plugged into the switch when re installing.They may slide off and leak so the mixer/switch won't work.Then it will be only blowing out the defroster

I only tried it once without pulling the radio first and the vacuum connector leaked. I then pulled the radio and made sure the vacuum connector was on there tight. I've been pulling the radio out first ever since that experience. There isn't much slack on the vacuum lines/connector.

Take off the dash cover panel first, should be 4 or 5 Phillips head screws.. 2 above cluster, one above headlight switch and one above cigarette lighter. Then just remove the 4 screws that hold on the climate control unit and there will just be one light located behind it on the right side, give the plastic piece that the light sits in a twist and it will come right out of the unit. Be careful when twisting the light out because the plastic is normally brittle and tends to break. After that the little bulb just pulls straight out.
I used to work in climate control unit. This was really a great time for me. So we can share our experience with together. So we can make our introduction first.

Back