• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which one should I buy?

XJPaul

NAXJA Forum User
I have been looking for quite a while and have found 2 possible candidates. Their odometers are within 15k miles of each other. Both are rust free and have the 4.0 and AW4 which run well and shift well. Whatever I get will be used as a weekend vehicle which will occasionally see trails. The original idea was to go 3" and 31's. Nothing crazy.

First is this 1991 2 door. 3 inch RC lift and 32's which don't look aggressive enough for me. Lots of maintenance items done recently.

Or this bone stock 1997 for $400 less than the 91?

Need more info
What transfer case does each one have?
What rear axle doe they have and if 8.25 do they have 29 spline or 27.
Doe they have any oil leaks?
Are you ok with the RC lift or do you have a particular lift in mind?

I'd take the four door every time for practicality's sake. I find it really frustrating to have twist and squeeze to reach for things in the rear cargo area.

that 4 door probably has more comfort features and has been abused less. not to mention, its so much more advisable to modify from stock. theres nothing more frustrating than trying to figure out what the last owner has done to it. my 2 cents..

You can always offer less for the 2dr. Even though I have not owned one in a while. I like 2dr better. Both seem to be in good shape.
AS said above, flip a coin.

If you want a two door, get the two door. If you want a four door, get the four door.

The '91 has no airbags. The '97 has an airbag for you.

The 2dr. looks like it has a good start, but Im partial to the two doors. My kids are gone so I dont 4drs. Im going with a 2 seater set up in my 89. Plenty of room for tools , parts ect.. Which one kicks ya?

Also depends on if you are happy with the lift components on the '91. If not, it's $400 wasted on somebody else's hack job.

97 for a few reasons, 1 the unibody on a 4dr is slightly stronger, 2 practicality, 3 0bd2, 4 you're better off starting with a clean slate when building a vehicle 99% of the time.

The 97 is newer - I'd go for it on that point alone. I have a bone stock 2001 and it's been nice to do everything myself!

the 4door unless the 91 has a nice job with the lift and better overall condition then the 97 far as drivetrain and engine and whatnot. It is already about what you want out of one. good thing about 2 door is its lighter and more room for fender cutting.

97 if you want the stronger axle shafts. But I am also partial for 2doors. I'd go 97 because they are both aw4, I'd chose 2door if it was ax15.
Edit: Stronger shafts assuming both have stock axles and 8.25's

Also depends on if you are happy with the lift components on the '91. If not, it's $400 wasted on somebody else's hack job.

the 4door unless the 91 has a nice job with the lift and better overall condition then the 97 far as drivetrain and engine and whatnot. It is already about what you want out of one. good thing about 2 door is its lighter and more room for fender cutting.

Eh, the lift looks like it was done well but its just a RC lift with coils up front and add a leaf in rear. Nothing great. That being said, I planned on probably doing coils and bastard packs if starting from stock.

Back