• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 NP231 trans case in 96 jeep- slip yoke??

skyb44

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, obviously the 96 has a different style slip yoke. I have a 94 trans case. as I noted in the other thread I was considering switching to the old style ATF lubed splines anyway, so if that's my only option I'll get the old style driveshaft...

question though- can i just bolt the tail section (or something?) from my 96 trans case to the 94 and use my 96 driveshaft?

just for reference- this is an automatic transmission, and i have no interest in installing a lift or SYE in the near future. just need an economical machine to get me to school and work.

Ok, obviously the 96 has a different style slip yoke. I have a 94 trans case. as I noted in the other thread I was considering switching to the old style ATF lubed splines anyway, so if that's my only option I'll get the old style driveshaft...

question though- can i just bolt the tail section (or something?) from my 96 trans case to the 94 and use my 96 driveshaft?

just for reference- this is an automatic transmission, and i have no interest in installing a lift or SYE in the near future. just need an economical machine to get me to school and work.

The rear support bearing may be in a different place on the shaft.
It certainly doesn't have an area for the seal to ride on since it wasn't needed on the pre 96 cases.

I strongly suspect that you not only have to change the rear bearing support, but the internal shaft also.

The rear support bearing may be in a different place on the shaft.
It certainly doesn't have an area for the seal to ride on since it wasn't needed on the pre 96 cases.

I strongly suspect that you not only have to change the rear bearing support, but the internal shaft also.

old style driveshaft it is then...

I'll call around to some salvage yards. It's a common enough part at least.

Back