• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj blown motor and cracked head

jdavis.hondatech

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 2000 xj 4.0 with a blown motor. Hole in the # 2 piston and the head is cracked in 2 places. My plan is to build a motor to swap in. I have a 94 4.0 out of my other xj that is stripped down in my shop. i replaced it about a year ago with a new motor out of a grand cherokee that was totaled. The 94 motor was running fine the day i pulled it but was burning a lot of oil. It had 240k on it. I'm rebuilding the bottom end, tho really all it needs is rings. I plan on buying a reman head for a 2000 and bolting it on. just checking on here to see if I'm gonna run into any problems that I'm not aware of. Im assuming i can swap over all the 2000 accessories onto the motor I'm building but just want to check on here before i order parts.

Bumping this up cause i have come across something else i need advice about. I was planning on buying a reman head from City Motor Supply but i called them today and they said they don't stock them. They only rebuild them. So does anyone else know a good and affordable place to get a head for a 2000 xj? i do have the head of the 94 4.0 i could use but I'm not sure what all ill need to change if it is even possible. i know the exhaust manifolds are different and no coil hold downs for sure. thanks for the advice in advance.

Buy an 0331 head from a 1999+ WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0, or 2000+ TJ Wrangler 4.0, and bolt in on.

Go for a used head stamped with TUPY after the 0331 from the models Tim listed, or a few of us around here went with Clearwater Cylinder head. New casting with the weak point in the head fixed. I think mine cost like 450?

Back