• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticking after engine shuts off

BRIANHO13

<- Yum Chocolate
Best I can describe it sounds kind of like lifter noise after engine is turned off.

Just installed this engine (4.0) after previous engine gave up the ghost. Didn't get to hear the "new" one before install. 127k on engine.

Sounds a little "dieselish" while idling, rev it up and noise goes away. Shut it off and noise continues for 5-10 seconds......any ideas?

Engine Timing off? Do you have a vid of the sounds?

Lifter bad? Do you have good oil pressure?

It really could be a number of things, but if it is dieseling after you turn it off........you have some incorrection ignition/engine timing issues I would say.

On the other hand, it may not be an engine related issue at all.

Need a vid when you can.

It's not turning over any more? Or it is just ticking? There's a lot of contracting that begins on metal engine components as soon as you shut it off. Different engines do it to different degrees in my experience.

When I shut any of my 4.0s off the first thing I hear is all the oil draining into the pan, then as all the cast and manifold cool it "ticks". At 127k depending on its previous life it may need a set of lifters. My 93 sounds like a diesel at idle but it makes 30 psi of idling oil pressure and 45+ going down the road, so I'm not too worried about it to be honest.

None of the pulleys are moving while it is making this noise (engine is stopped). The guy who installed it put in 5w30 and the oil pressure was low (at idle), I swapped in 10w30 and a bottle of Lucas and pressure stays around 15-20 at idle when hot now.

Engine makes great power, with no misses.

I will try to get a video.

Back