• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Land cruiser style suspension?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know what this style is called exactly, but,
It uses two monster lower control arms mounted to the axle with two bushings apiece + a panhard rod / track bar.
Anyone thought about modifying brackets to put Land Cruiser arms under an XJ?
I ask because they seem to perform well off road and drive nicely. 50% fewer brackets to position, too.

yeah its just a simplified radius arm. solid axle ford trucks use a similar design

I think it's the early broncos that do it, fellow jeep guy has the 9" and 44 from a bronco and just used the broncos original style arms to connect.

OP look up stang65 he did this style set up, might be able to bounce ideas off him

It still has uppers at the axle end,so you'd only be saving 25% of bracket install over a 4 link? Even if you got all the parts free, it wouldn't be much of an upgrade and the brackets would be equal to a 3 link as far as quantity. I like the idea of using junkyard part, and it would be an upgrade over the leafs in the rear. I would argue that if you are getting in to the custom fab it would take to adapt a different stock vehicle suspension you'd probably be better off just building a 3 link or 4 link.

I have run a set of Ford Radius arms that I have modified for the last 10 years. It flexes almost too much. You definitely need limiting straps if you wrist one of the arms.

The two points of control on the arm are offset front-back and not top-bottom, made me think it was something other than a radius arm. Anyhow, I like the idea and thought i'd float it. I've seen those LC arms in Baja racers & they seem to live fine under 50% more vehicle weight than we deal with. Shrug - I'll file this under "mess with in 2017"

For all the work, time and money only to have a well built and polished d30 front with a Land cruiser suspension, you would feel like an Pop country singer since you could probably build a stout, well mannered, well built 3 link and a hp44 and be much happier. I am sorry for getting a little off topic.

I see your point. I think you could do worse, though, than put a Waggy 44 under an XJ with 'cruiser radius arms. In theory anyway I like the 'cruiser arms better than the 2" DOM + heims recipe.

I would go ford hP44 not waggy.

In theory anyway I like the 'cruiser arms better than the 2" DOM + heims recipe.
why?

the ford radius arms lend themselves well to adapting to the XJ because the diff is drivers drop and the coil buckets are the correct width. none of these benefits come with toyota axles. if your going to fab something together that wasnt supposed to be on the cherokee, there are better options. putting this style radius arm on an axle that it doesnt come with will be as much work as fabbing from scratch.

I think the brackets on the axle side should be pretty easy to fab. As to why I like cruiser arms better than DOM & heims... no compelling reason. NVH, maybe, but it's mostly an aesthetic thing. Just an idea I had... the arms can be had for ~150 off Ebay and seem to last well.

Metalcloak makes some neat joints that should be fine for NVH. I'm thinking about changing out the JJs in my long arms for them.

Why?

Rockclimber - do you get sexually aroused every time you post a sentence fragment with only enough information or opinion to rouse curiosity? Do you?
You do, don't you? Sicko...

rouse curiosity

hmmmm

sounds kind of like your posts... just to speculate and ponder. yes, this is what forums are for, but there comes a point when it becomes taxing. get off the net, go build something.

i bet your going to school for theoretical physics, eh? THEORETICAL. if building and fabricating isnt in the budget at the moment, see if your school has any SAE clubs. youll get your fix.

Back