• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj vibration and grinding noise. No it's not death wobble

Ajhaun

NAXJA Forum User
I flushed my wife's trans fluid in her xj. I think since it left the factory because it was black. And now it's got some weird vibrations going on at about 25 and some even weirder almost grinding sound at high speed when she lets off the throttle. The faster she's going
The louder it
Is. I changed the ujoints on the rear drive shaft and on her front end. Put it
Up on jack stands let it run. Only driver side wheel was spinning. Idk if that's just because open dif. I got a lot
Of diffrent answers for that. So I pulled the shafts and checked everything inside and it all looked good. I checked the trans mount that looked in good shape. Her chain might be loose in her tcase but I don't see that causing noise like this.
I'm at a
Complete loss to what this could be. Any xj gurus please help.

The pinions should turn smooth and have no end play. You should be able to just grab the yoke and see if it will move in and out. Jack it up and turn it, see if it turns smooth.

Where's the noise coming from? Front, rear, middle? Black transmission fluid is BAD. It should be redish/pink in color.

My money is on the rearend also. Just went through this on my 95, grinding noise that increased with speed. All the bearings in mine were shot, axle and pinion. Quiet as a mouse now.

Well changed the transfer case fluid and it made the vibrations and noises go away for a couple days and now suddenly they are back again. And the wife says they are worse than before. It doesn't have a sye so I guess if it's
In the transfer case that will be
My
Next step. I'm ****ing
Lost. Idk how
Fluid
Could have made it stop and then come back suddenly. Could there possibly be to
Much in there?
Wife added more yesterday before the vibrations started again.

Back