• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 xj transmission mount conversion

SkinnyRidgeMJ

NAXJA Forum User
Today I found a bad transmission mount on the newest addition to our xj fleet, an 01 sport. Grabbed a new mount that we stock for the older xjs we run and found it was slightly different. Called the local parts stores and no one stocks one. Called the stealership. They wanted $160 for it. The mount for the 99 and older is about 25 bucks. So... Had to have it out for class today so here is what I did.

01 mount on left. 99 on right.

First step is to redrill the x-member.

Next oblong the access holes on the bottom.

While the cross member was off I reinforced it with some 1" box steel.

There is a alignment dowel that locates the mount. You could either drill the new mount, or as I did, grind the nipple off. None of the pre 2000s had them.

Painted and reinstalled.

So if your in a bind or just want to save 150 bucks this should help you.

Today I found a bad transmission mount on the newest addition to our xj fleet, an 01 sport. Grabbed a new mount that we stock for the older xjs we run and found it was slightly different. Called the local parts stores and no one stocks one. Called the stealership. They wanted $160 for it. The mount for the 99 and older is about 25 bucks. So... Had to have it out for class today so here is what I did.
Same thing I had to do with my 2001 XJ, the trans mount is a special order and the one Rock Auto delivered was a Chinese POS.
Any idea why the 2001(and some 2000) use a different mount? All it does is to move the engine/transmission over and inch or so. May be to provide clearance between the oil pan and the two mini-cats.
Every 01 owner should know about this easy conversion and maybe even drill the cross member ahead of time, you never know when you may break a mount and need a new one fast.
Surprised Chrysler didn't use the old mount and just drill the cross member in the proper place.

Back