• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 acting up.

Borgli

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I've been having some issues with my AW4 and need some advise.

It is in a 1990 Jeep XJ.

The problem is intermittent and doesnt make any sense to me.

I can go out and take it for a drive and it shifts like a brand new car. Then i stop the car and start it again and it will rev 1st up to anywhere from 2000 to 4000 rpm(normally it shifts at 1200-1300, light aceleration). Then 2nd will go up to 2300-3500rpm and slam into 3rd, which then wont shift until im at 2500-3000rpm and again slam it into 4th. The numbers provided are for "normal" driving, ie not slamming on the gas.
The road I usually drive on has a 60km/h(bare with me its only for referance) at 60km/t it is supposed to be in 4th, but when it acts up I have to bring it up to atleast 70km/t to get it to upshift but I have to slowly lift off, then sometimes it will go back to 3rd as a decellerate to 60. When its shifting fine it is in 4th by 50 or 55km/t.
This happens about 50% of the time I drive. Sometimes (20% of the time) it shifts fine until I hit traffic and slow down.

So far I have
- changed out the solenoids and changed the filter and fluid in the AW4.
- adjusted the tps
- tried to adjust the TV cable, that works for about 2 drives then its back to being weird again.

It doesnt seem like there is anything mechanicly wrong with the tranny as it shifts like a god riding a cloud when its not pmsing.

I am going to change out the brake/cruise swith soon to get OD to work. Its been broken for 1.5 years before the weird shifting started so I dont excpect it to fix anything.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

Given everything you have done, I might consider checking the transmission controller. It is located behind the bottom half of the dash on the passenger side and is pretty easy to access. I would remove the connectors and check all the connections.

You certainly have eliminated many of the primary suspects.

This sounds electrical (rather than mechanical) with the intermittent nature. Even though you have adjusted your TPS, you may want to try a different one. If no difference with that, then a salvage yard Transmission Control Unit issue is something you may want to try.

Be darn sure that all engine grounds are good; Renix are notorious for ground issues.

Last edited:
Note from DJ
Book mark this information it is worth its weight in GOLD.

Cruiser54 Mostly Renix Tips can be found in this link with some photos: Revised on 9-21-2013
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cruiser54s-mostly-renix-tips-153657/

Thanks cruiser54 for sharing your knowledge with all of us Renix owners.

This post has a complete diagnostic check list step by step for the AW4 Transmission.
Note from DJ
Please look over the complete # 2 post by coppertop71
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/aw4-question-254062/

Back