• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight issue (just looking for confirmation)

jb98xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I have been out of the XJ game for a couple years, but just picked up a 96 SE over the weekend. Couple odds/ends things that I am working to figure out.
Took it for a night time drive last night for the first time. About 5-10 mins in, the headlights would randomly shut off, flicker, then come back on in a couple seconds. I noticed if I held the Hi-beam switch back, they stayed on fine. It even did it once I got home idling in the driveway, so I sortof ruled out a lose wire, connection. I am thinking head light switch from some reading I've done on here. Does this sound reasonable? If not, any thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance!

If you have the HI beam switch in the stalk, and the lights work when you hold it back, that switch is most likely the problem. You might get it to work for a while if you cycle the switch multiple times. My turn signals are like that. Problems in the multifunction switch on the steering column are pretty hard to diagnose.

Thanks for the replies! As always, a very informative site. Thanks again. I'll update once resolved.

Back