• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Cat

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched around and can't seem to come up with anything. When I bought my 97 afew years back it didn't have a cat or the rear 02. I scavenged the parts from my wrecked 98 to get it together.

Now I'm at the point of needing to replace the exhaust and was thinking of getting a new cat as part of the process. The cat I put on was alittle beat up and had to be "adjusted" to fit the existing muffler. Thus why I figure it's just easier just to start with new parts.

My plan is probably a dynomax cat back and I was considering a magnaflow bullet style converter. My problem is that I can't seen to find a PN for a "universal" that will fit and has an 02 bung.

Does anyone have a PN for a magnaflow or similar converter that will work? I know an OE style from magnaflow is $150 and will go with that to save the hassle of having a connector pipe between the cat & the muffler made up if necessary.

Check summit racing for a universal dynomax or magnaflow. That's what I have on my 95.

performance-curve.com has universal cats. also, makes XJ exhaust as well.

Are you going to weld the exhaust together? I bought a universal Dynomax hi-flo cat, a bullet style magnaflow muffler and welded them together with a short exhaust tube, then welded an O2 bung in that tube after the cat. Pretty simple.

Just don't do like me and orient the O2 sensor so it sticks up and gets smashed into the body when your exhaust hits a rock.

I have one of these on my 99, and welded an o2 bung a couple inches downstream of it, just before the muffler. Tucks up inside the frame rails, and no issues or codes in the year plus I've had it so far. As sunburned said, make sure your o2 sensor won't be smashed and is still removable. I angled mine up a bit from horizontal.

Like Johnnie Walker mentioned, Performance-Curve has cats that work well on our XJ's.
I got this Catalytic Converter for roughly $75 - Shipped - about 2 years ago.
http://performance-curve.com/2goerlichcatalyticconverterobdii608214-1-2.aspx
608396.jpg

thunderbolt2.jpg

It's shorter than the OEM Cat, so there will be some tube that will have to be added in.
I had mine welded up at an exhaust shop, but i suppose you could get away with a section of tube, and some clamps.
Since the install I have had ZERO issues with it, and I have not gotten one single code from it ever.
If your looking for a high flow, universal, inexpensive OBDII compatible cat, I would HIGHLY recommend one of these.

I might also add.....
That I was unsure at the time of purchase, if this particular cat was going to be the right choice for MY particular set-up.
I called the company and was pleasantly surprised with the level of knowledge,
and degree of customer service I got from them.
They were more than willing to work with me in choosing what would work best,
for MY Cherokee, with the modifications I have done to it.

Like Johnnie Walker mentioned, Performance-Curve has cats that work well on our XJ's.
I got this Catalytic Converter for roughly $75 - Shipped - about 2 years ago.
http://performance-curve.com/2goerlichcatalyticconverterobdii608214-1-2.aspx
608396.jpg

thunderbolt2.jpg

It's shorter than the OEM Cat, so there will be some tube that will have to be added in.
I had mine welded up at an exhaust shop, but i suppose you could get away with a section of tube, and some clamps.
Since the install I have had ZERO issues with it, and I have not gotten one single code from it ever.
If your looking for a high flow, universal, inexpensive OBDII compatible cat, I would HIGHLY recommend one of these.

Thanks, that's EXACTLY what I was looking for. I figured I would get an exhaust shop make up an extension pipe to make the overall length of the cat the same as an OE one.

I have one of these on my 99, and welded an o2 bung a couple inches downstream of it, just before the muffler. Tucks up inside the frame rails, and no issues or codes in the year plus I've had it so far. As sunburned said, make sure your o2 sensor won't be smashed and is still removable. I angled mine up a bit from horizontal.

That's the same one I used on my '98, I welded the o2 bung on to it (oem position) so it wouldn't draw any attention from the smog nazis here in so cal.

I just passed smog 4 days ago. party1:

I went Magnaflow universal "bullet" 4 1/2 years ago and have had zero problems. I live in Atlanta where they do emissions testing every year to renew your tag registration and it has always passed with flying colors. The one I bought did not have an O2 bung on it but the exhaust shop I took it to to get it put on cut a hole in the back part of the cat past the catalyst brick and welded on an O2 bung. This is very common practice on universal cats being installed on OBDII vehicles. This is the second cat that I this done to and they both worked perfectly.

Back