• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix - Runnight Lights Upgrades (LED conversion)

BulletMaker

NAXJA Forum User
So one thing I've been working on periodically over the last few months is trying to figure out how to upgrade all of the body lighting to LED. This has two benefits: Lower power consumption, and longer life. I will admit that power consumption is essentially not an issue, but longer life, with the possibility of higher output is enough of a consideration to get me interested in doing it.

So here's some photos (taken in the dark) of the jeep lights:

Here's the back with the reversing lights on:
YbNzApx.jpg

Here's the front:
SyXD8ZK.jpg

As you can see from the above photo that my passenger side runnigh light is out. Well cops havn't noticed yet *knocks on wood*.

Anyways, as you can guess since this project has taken me months, I really havn't been trying too hard, however I did get pulled over the other night, and was informed that I have a bad brake tail light, so I had to pull it apart and see what's inside: (passenger side)
awtVn9K.jpg

Here's what they look like with the lights on (signal flasher is turned on also):

T25J2vk.jpg

So while that's all exciting and pretty, lets look and see what bulbs are in here, because rather problematically, there are 5 friggin bulbs in there.

Top - 2357 - Bayonet 2 contact bulb 3cp/40cp (running light/Brake light)
2nd down - 5007 single contact 5W (running light)
3rd down - 67 - flat contact type running light
4th down - 1156 - Bayonet single contact
bottom - 1156 - Bayonet single contact (white)

Also, the license plate is a #194 flat contact type bulb (takes one)

I havn't pulled apart the front yet, but the book says I need a 2357A (amber) for the front run/turn signal, and probably a second one for the lower horizontal light.

One other thing I know, is when doing an LED upgrade to the running lights, I need to put on a load resistor, as the dodad that makes signals flash requires enough power dissipation in order for it to work.

Back