• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where should this plug go, and what should be plugged into this sensor?

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
It would be all to simple if the plug in question went with the sensor in question, but they're on opposite sides of the engine bay. It is still a possibility given the aftermarket intake, but I'm not inclined to bet that way.

Vehicle is a 1996 XJ, Manual Trans, 4x4. Lord only knows how many P.O.s, but evidence is none of them were particularly good at wrenching. Let me know if any other details are needed.

First the plug: Passenger side of the engine bay. Comes out of the main wiring loom just left of an emissions control vacuum solenoid. It can be made to reach to the close side of the valve cover, but it's got another 12 to 14 inches to go before it would reach the open sensor. Here are a couple of pics:

MysteryPlug1OPT.jpg

MysteryPlug2OPT.jpg

The sensor is at the base of the K&N intake, back side. Brass hex fitting. Temperature? Pics don't show well, but hopefully someone knows what it is and what should be plugged into it, if anything. And how to identify the appropriate wires (i.e. where do they come out of the harness?) Perhaps it applies to a later model year and is just included on all products to simplify production/inventory? Edumicate me please:

MysterySensor1OPT.jpg

MysterySensor2OPT.jpg

The sensor on the airbox looks like a manifold air temp sensor, in pic 3 you see a similar sensor on the intake.
As for the wire plug, what color are the wires, easy to look at diagram of wiring to figure it out.

Yep, that's for the underhood light for sure.

My guess was gonna be AC high/low pressure switch, but I recognize that one from when I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out what the hell it went to :laugh2:

The underhood lamp wires are Red and Black - from 2001 back to 1994 as far as I know.

And these are red and black.

The vehicle doesn't have an underhood light, but I can see that there is a rectangular opening in the hood insulation which might serve as an opening for a light. That opening also seems to line up pretty well with where these wires come out of the harness, so I'll consider that one resolved.

It also sounds like the sensor in the K&N housing is reduntant to what is already in place. I am probably best off pulling that sensor and putting a discreet plug in its place. No need to confuse the smog techs.

Thank you all for the help.

And these are red and black.

The vehicle doesn't have an underhood light, but I can see that there is a rectangular opening in the hood insulation which might serve as an opening for a light. That opening also seems to line up pretty well with where these wires come out of the harness, so I'll consider that one resolved.

It also sounds like the sensor in the K&N housing is reduntant to what is already in place. I am probably best off pulling that sensor and putting a discreet plug in its place. No need to confuse the smog techs.

Thank you all for the help.

Somewhere along the way I read about moving the IAT to the TB intake duct. Maybe that's what that probe is. Remove it and take a look at it and see if it looks like an IAT.

Back