• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 AT not pumping fluid

pb_beaker

NAXJA Forum User
I got a replacement AW4 for my 89 4.0. Me and a buddy swaped it out and went to get her back on the road. Started her up and she went nowhere! It took us awhile but we found its not pumping any oil. Is it possible to remove and either replace or repair the pump? Where is it located and how do i get it out?

Typically the pump is part of/next to the torque converter:

automatic-transmission-5.gif

Another problem may be you are not getting fluid into the torque converter, or the system pumped all the fluid into the TC, IIRC the TC holds the bulk of the ATF fluid.

It's actually 3 "clicks" or more accurately "clunks".

If you stand the tranny up on it's rear end you should be able to put in the TC, turn it and clunk, then turn again and clunk, then once more and final clunk.

The nose of the TC should be about 1.5" inside the bell housing (I know the measurement is more precise, but I don't know what it is). Then when installing the tranny you need to keep the front of the tranny level or tilted slightly back so the TC doesn't slip out of it's seat.

Is it possible that the t-case is in Neutral??

Was not aware of the installation process for the TC. We just put it on the shaft then put the AT on.

The T-case is in neutral.

The Jeep will not move with the T-case in Neutral. Put it in 2HI.

How did you determine that the tranny isn't pumping fluid?

The Jeep will not move with the T-case in Neutral. Put it in 2HI.

How did you determine that the tranny isn't pumping fluid?

We ran it through all the gears in the AT and T-case with no success.

We disconnected the tranny line from the radiator cooler and it was bone dry, with the engine running and going through all the gears.

Last edited:
How much fluid did you put in it?

It takes 8-9 quarts. Just sayin' Trying to see if you got lucky with the TC and not have to take it apart again.

How much fluid did you put in it?

It takes 8-9 quarts. Just sayin' Trying to see if you got lucky with the TC and not have to take it apart again.

Put 8-9 in, have it out now that the lines are disconnected. Looks like i will need to take it apart again and see if the TQ is in correctly.

If it is then where is the fluid pump and is it easy to get out?

Back