• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rockers again....

wtfjackbbq

NAXJA Forum User
I know that rusted rocker replacement has been covered many times, and I have searched through a lot of them. I know that the best easiest way is to weld in 2x6 box tubing. Currently I live in Japan, and the local shop does not have 2x6 box tubing, and there is nowhere else that sells metal around.

What they do have is 2.5x2.5 and 6x6 square tubing. They also have 1" wide flat stock, angle iron, and lots of round tubing.

My question is, are there any creative ways/ideas of welding in rockers that can be accomplished with these materials?

Well, what about using some round tubing to form the lower outside corner of the rocker & welding 1" flat to joint it to the body?
Or, use 2 lenghts of the 2.5x2.5 and clamp side by side. Weld them together. Voila - 2.5x5 rectangle. Stronger than plain 2x6, too, because it has that internal support.

Why not 2.5x2.5 doubled up? That'd be 2.5x5. Little thicker, not quite as wide, but would do the job. Just stitch them up down their length. Would maybe allow you to go with thinner material since you'll have the vertical "wall" down the center to strengthen it up.

Edit yos beat me to it

Why not 2.5x2.5 doubled up? That'd be 2.5x5. Little thicker, not quite as wide, but would do the job. Just stitch them up down their length. Would maybe allow you to go with thinner material since you'll have the vertical "wall" down the center to strengthen it up.

Edit yos beat me to it

very good idea.

the 2.5x2.5 will also work very well for bracing to the unibody.

Just got back from the shop, they used the 2.5x2.5, but they had 2x2 apparently. So just to update, I got 30ft of 2x2 square tubing and got my buddy about 45ft of 1/2x1/2 tubing for a roof rack all for $105.

I'll see how heavy 3 strips of 2x2 will be and show what I end up doing.

It's going to be heavy, no doubt. I think the racer's rule of thumb is that you effectively give up 10 horsepower for each 100 lbs weight added.
math instensive, but I pirated a more scientific approach from another forum :
Here's a good formula I found.

1) Calculate vehicle's current weight(x).

2) Subtract the amount of weight you’re removing.

3) Take this new number(a) and divide it by the horse power of the vehicle (y). The number you come up with (z) will be the amount of lbs. per horse power after the reduction. (Step 1)

4) Then divide 1 by the number of pounds (z) and multiply it by the weight before the reduction(x). This new number (b) will be the new simulated horsepower of the vehicle. (Step 2)

5) Take this number (b) and subtract the horsepower before weight reduction(y) from it. This will be the simulated gain(s/hp (g)). (Step 3)

Step 1: a/y=z
Step 2: (1/z)*x=b
Step 3: b-y=g

You could go with 2x4...

31657_390985028210_7355021_n_zps5dc2b147.jpg

31657_390985018210_4891277_n_zps6c416f3f.jpg

You could double up 2x2 for a 2x4, then add a step tube like regular rock sliders since they have tube

After seeing the 2x4 I have was thinking about the same thing. I should be doing this Saturday. I think I will just do the 2x4 to start, and go look into the tubing they have available. That way I should still have enough square tubing to tie the rockers to the unibody

2x4 looks pretty close to factory. Really nice. I was planning to make some rocker gaurds for my Jeep but now I'm thinking 2x4 replacements + a side step and some tread tape.

I still havn't finished my rails, but I did wanted to push them a bit lower (away from the body) I used 2x2" .125" sq tube, for the rails, a 3/4x3/4" tube that sits on the pinch seam, and then 2x1" .125 that bolts into the body/frame runners along the bottom. I made mine so they mounted into some of the existing holes in the frame. Unfortunately I'm still waiting on the parts to get back from the lasercutter, along with a bunch of other parts.

Well this is what I went with. I got both sides done this far yesterday. I still need to brace them to the unibody, and i got DOM tubing for a rail. But you get the idea. Please let me know if you think these are going to fall apart as soon as they are hit. I have no problem re-doing all of it to get it right.

Last edited:
I think what I'm seeing is that the rocker was cut out & that 2x2 beam is welded in place of it, with those feet sticking off and welded to the pinch seam.
Should be fine without much bracing. I mean, keep in mind what you are replacing - the sheet metal rocker. This depends on the abuse you are going to put on it, of course.

Back