• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Borgeson shaft install?

obaa-xj

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a Borgeson shaft some time ago for a '90 XJ (non-tilt), and finally got around to installing it. The part number I have is 000893, which Borgeson confirmed was correct. Per their notes, my steering column requires a "double D" shaft :) (essentially, a "squashed" circle, with two vertical, parallel sides). However, it doesn't match the installation diagram they sent with the shaft, nor does it match the universal joint on the shaft that they sent. The stub does resemble a double D, but one of the flats (driver side) has a bulge, so it looks almost like a triple D. The universal on the Borgeson shaft matches this.
The stock shaft fits over the stub (natch), and is clamped on by a bolt which fits across a flat machined into the top "D" of the stub.
The issue I have is that the Borgeson shaft installs with two set screws. One of them is supposed to go through the stub from the steering column, while the other is supposed to contact the machined flat. The problem is that the stub is solid, so the "through" set screw can't be run through, and the other set screw is located at the bottom "D" of the joint. (I can't simply turn the wheel 180degrees, because of the third "D").
I called Borgeson, who were very nice, but the lady there said no one ever had any issues like I mentioned. I found that odd, since I know the column has never been changed out. I'm wondering if anyone else has run into issues with installing a Borgeson shaft?

i got the borgeson 000893 steering shaft / intermediate shaft to put on my 2000 cherokee. No way this is going to fit. First the shaft is not long enough to reach from the steering box thru the firewall and attach to the steering column. i removed the rubber cover and loosened the screw that holds the shaft from telescoping apart, still not long enough, falls apart. Second the end that attaches to the steering column is a rather large D opening and cannot attach to the steering column spline. The shaft needs the same spline attachment on both ends. The end that attaches to the steering box can also attach to the steering column spline, they need to be the same on both sides. I went to the junk yard and looked at a 97, 98, 99 and they have the exact same shaft as my 2000. I looked at a 96 and it was different. The 96 steering column goes thru the firewall, so its steering shaft is shorter. And can be swapped out from the engine bay.

Anyone successfully installed this 000893 shaft on a 97-00 ?

Do you have pics?

thanks

Post pics of new shaft and old one

Back