• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Cherokee (XJ) driveline measurements, angles, etc. (?)

1x1_Speed_Craig

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm working on this FC170 Patina Rod. I'll be installing a '99 XJ 4.0L/AW4/NP-231 into a 2005 F350 Cab & Chassis frame, and will then be mounting the FC170 cab onto this frame.

I took some measurements from the donor Cherokee this weekend, but I'd consider them "rough measurements" only, as it was hard getting accurate measurements crawling around under the XJ.

From my measurements, it looks like there is a 13" drop from the motor mount surface (frame mounts) to the top of the transmission mount surface/crossmember, and the rear t-case output appears to be offset to the passenger side ~0.84375".

I'd like to confirm these measurements (including finding out what the actual driveline angle is) with actual Jeep specs. Does anyone know where such drawings/measurments exist? It'll help me properly locate the custom motor/transmission mounts on the F350 frame.

Thanks,
Craig

My FC170 cab, full of rust (er...patina :D).
1474391_10202647554459945_1356386480_n.jpg

The 2005 F350 Cab & Chassis frame it'll be mounted on:
1517694_10202831673982818_1716948511_n.jpg

Here is the engine/trans/t-case donor. It's a '99 XJ Sport with 94K miles, and it runs BEAUTIFULLY! It is now mostly stripped down, but still runs, as I start it weekly to keep it in good-running condition.
1554628_10202901594210780_350406563_n.jpg

Last edited:
Try going to a Body/Frame shop. They have charts/measurements to go by when they straighten body,s and frames.
There are also measurements in the FSM.
Best of luck with the project.

Try going to a Body/Frame shop. They have charts/measurements to go by when they straighten body,s and frames.
There are also measurements in the FSM.
Best of luck with the project.

Thanks. I have been reviewing the FSM this evening, and I'm only finding "body opening dimensions" (windows, doors, etc.)...nothing relating to the (unibody) frame measurements. The only spec I saw about the driveline angle is a recommended max of 3 degrees on the t-case output.

96 FSM Section 13,Frame and Bumpers.
Most of the measurements are from bolt hole to bolt hole.Or mounts on the frame,you would need to have the pic in front of you to decide what is what.

96 FSM Section 13,Frame and Bumpers.
Most of the measurements are from bolt hole to bolt hole.Or mounts on the frame,you would need to have the pic in front of you to decide what is what.

Found it! Thanks. I'm not sure how I missed the diagram before. It's not exactly what I need, but it's a starting point. Thanks again.

Craig

Back