• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motive ring and pinion any good?

escout

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I'm going to re-gear my Cherokee to 4.10's and I'm leaning toward Motive gears based on a package deal from Rusty's. However, I have no prior experience with these gears and I have no idea whether they are worth a darn. These gears will be going into my daily driver, so they need to be reliable and quiet running.

If anyone has experience with Motive please feel free to share the good/bad/ugly. If you think Motive is a waste of time and money, please give me another recommendation for ring and pinion brands in the 4.10 ratio.

Additional Info:
-2000 Jeep Cherokee
-Dana 30 (Low Pinion, 27-spline) FRONT
-Chrysler 8.25 (29-spline) REAR

Thanks!

I bought a set last week, did not find any negative comments about them. I asked a couple local guys who have experience, they say not the best, but not the worst. One started laughing at me and said, "the way you drive, they'll last forever!" I'm OK with that. :)

Action Fab said:
I install motive all the time. No issues.
You said the same thing in another thread. Last thing I want is a frustrated installer. Thanks! :thumbup:

No experience with motives, but RWKhaus has been good to me on gear packages in the past, might want to give him a call as well

I bought a set last week, did not find any negative comments about them. I asked a couple local guys who have experience, they say not the best, but not the worst. One started laughing at me and said, "the way you drive, they'll last forever!" I'm OK with that. :)

You said the same thing in another thread. Last thing I want is a frustrated installer. Thanks! :thumbup:

What's funny is I have installed pretty equal numbers of both Motive, US Standard, and Yukons. I've only had to warranty two sets of gears for defect. Both were Yukon gears. I've broken them all and they're all made from the same (I think 8025... but don't hold me to that) metal. All seem to stand up off road the same. Motive has been around for ages. They're just not advertised like some of the more expensive brands. I have heard that US standard is actually made in the spicer plant and sold under a different name. Could be old folk lore though.

I would not turn away any brand name gear set these days. Most typically use one importer/company and box theirs. Especially in Dana gears. All are 8620 heat treated.

I would recommend you just pay the least you can. Cause I promise you the box they come in might have one factory's gears in it this week, with next week maybe another factory made. And the Motive might be the same factory made this week as USA Standard or Nitro, but next week be all different.

Its all in the install and final price of the gears I feel. And I sell or have sold them all. I have installed them all. The above is common knowledge of those in the industry that know gears well.

I just opened up my Motive gear package from Rusty's. The box for the c8.25 R/P is not labeled Motive but rather Richmond Sportsman. WTF? Does Motive=Richmond now? Or is this just what I get for dealing with Rusty?

Midwest owns motive and others. And they bought Richmond about a yr ago. I know typ sportsman gears are noiser. The only application I wouldn't want a Richmond is in a cry diff.

They are by far the most noisy poss w anything but perfect everything..

But if it's in a motive box it should be good..m

I've used richmond without issue. The worst diff for noise seems to be 8.8's. So much so that 8.8 gears even come with a warning that gear noise may occur and is normal. Lol.

Talked to Rusty this morning. He says the Richmond and Motive gears have the same metallurgy and design...just different boxes.

Lol. Really. So they can throw anything in there.. I don't know of a modern day gear set that's not 8620 and cut on a gleason.

You know, if they are the same as Motive and advertised as such, why not just take whatever measures are needed to somehow come up with a Motive box and subsequently not have to deal with customers who are uncertain as to what they've received. Some of us research our purchases to assure ourselves we are buying a quality, best bang for the buck product.

I have some re-evaluating to do prior to my next jeep part purchase.

Back