• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5-297x to 5-760x u-joints. help please

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
so I'm replacing my unit bearing and decided to replace the u-joints also. the problem I'm having it getting the u-joint out. ive read that its the same as a drive shaft u-joint but I cant see how with the cap? ive removed the half clips, but no matter how hard I press, the joint isnt moving. does the caps have a ridge/lip thats keeping them from moving? if so how are you getting past it?any and all help is appreciated

They can be a real bear. Remove the C- clip then use a ball joint press to press them out. Its rust and friction holding them in. I tried to use a vise once... broke it.. given it was probably a cheap one.

Also, Crank down on the press then hit the yoke with a hammer.

ya dont use the vice to press it out, BFH is your friend

Heat is your friend...
truth... just be careful wailing on it. your inevitably going to transfer heat into the ear. you can bend them quite easily.

my go to method is heat and an air hammer... "BBBBBBRRRRRAAAAAPPPPP!" done.

my second method of choice is the the video posted.

those work too, ive used 2 sockets in a pinch too
2 sockets and my rear bumper. lol. i want to make a plate to mount a vise to my rear bumper.

Thanks for all the tips and help guys, ya I was thinking they would be similar to the drive shaft u-joints but didnt know if these had a lip(they looked they did) but my god these things were a pain. Stock 97' factory U-joints?!! Good to they lasted 205,000mi lol
Two! I'm mean 2 C-clamps got bent! Mind you they were harbor freight ones but damn they got twisted lol
Didn't do heat because I don't want to temper the metal or make them more susceptible to breaking. Ended up doing the c-clamp and hammer method.

I am not a big fan of using heat to separate parts. I have tried to replace these u-joints lots of times using a ball joint press, a hydraulic press, and a BFH. The best results were with a BFH. It also helps to use some penetrating oil. The caps tend to get cocked in the ears using a press of any kind.

The caps tend to get cocked in the ears using a press of any kind.
I start the caps a bit with a hammer to prevent them being cocked when using the press.

Back