• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering easier to the right

Action Fab

NAXJA Forum User
So I've got a new one. Been building jeeps professionally for almost ten years. Owned 32 of my own jeeps. Set up every type of steering system imaginable. Can't say I've run into this one.

Last weekend I swapped in a power steering box off an 02 TJ. Box was off a stock rig with 30k miles. My jeep steered just fine prior to the swap. Just my box was leaking. With the newbox on my steering is super sensitive when turning right (passenger) and normal to the left. I'm running the same pitman, pump, lines, drag link and tie rod as before. I personally drove the jeep this box came off of prior to pulling it about two years ago. It didn't have this problem either.

Any ideas as to why this is? It's actually a little spooky to drive. You can grab the wheel and spin it like a game of Price's Right to the right. There is absolutely no resistance... feels just like the wheels are off the ground. But only that direction. Even when at full lock to the passenger side, turning back to the left there is normal resistance and it feels fine.

Do you have the same turning radius to both sides? Maybe the box is a turn of the wheel off center and your pitman arm is relocated to compensate for it, so it's trying to return to center in that direction, which makes the steering easier that way?

Stab in the dark, really.

Yup steers no different in that aspect. Weird shit. I plan to rebuild my old box and add hydro soon. Maybe when I swap back it'll be okay. I'm sure it's some kind of flow issue in the new box. What's so weird is that it's easier not harder. I kinda wish it was like this both ways on the trail.... for street driving it's not so good. I've almost messed up a few times alread. Real easy to veer off toward the ditch when you can't feel steering input.

Yeah, I remember that, just wasn't sure if you'd double checked it or maybe had filed it off and not thought about return to center force.

That sure is a head scratcher, I bet it's not 100% bled yet and there's air on one side of the piston-gear-thing or something. I barely understand saginaw box inner workings so this might be bullshit too :laugh2:

I have run across that before and I don't remember for sure what the cause was. It seems like it had something to do with a check ball in the pump assembly.

Back