• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ vs Offset Chevy 1 ton TREs

bmpweXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to do the WJ knuckle swap soon and need some help deciding between the WJ TREs and Offset Chevy 1 ton TREs

My Specs are 4" lift on 33x10.5s and 4.56s. I see the decision based upon the following:

1. STRENGTH
I'm assuming the Chevy is stronger, but I don't know this for sure. I plan on mostly exploration / trail riding, but would like to be prepared for other, more rough conditions if needed. If I ever went bigger than 33x10.5 tires, it wouldn't be on this Jeep. Do I "need" the extra strength the Chevy part may provide?

2. CLEARANCE
This is just another assumption, but I'm guessing the Chevy part is bigger and I'd like to minimize the size wheel spacer needed to clear 15" alloys.

3. AVAILABILITY
Since the offset chevy TREs are a custom design, I don't think I'll be able to walk into any parts store to replace.

So, can anyone comment on the strength difference and/or my assumptions? Are there any decision criteria I may be missing above?

Thanks!

EDIT: added specs

Last edited:
Go with WJ ends for the tie rod and Chevy ends for the drag link. WJ stuff is pretty strong but the WJ drag link ends have terrible misalignment. The Chevy ends do a much better job of not binding when the front axle droops out.

WJ threads are 24mm. Beefy enough, I'd think. Taper and ball stud are probably smaller. I'd still run WJ stuff if for no other reason than, like you said, parts are available.

Back