• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 High Steer Arm Stuck

XJ_Jeeper01

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure if this in the right section, but hopefully someone has some insight into this. I am trying to replace the ball joints on my D44 passenger knuckle that has a high steer arm on it. I got the lower one out just fine, but I cannot press the top one out because the high steer arm keeps the tool from having enough surface area to work properly. I tried getting the arm off, but it is ridiculously stuck. I got one of the threaded studs off, but the other two will not budge. I've tried PB Blaster and beating the crap out of the arm with a mallet. Of course this one thing is keeping me from putting the front end back together. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

You need to bolt the knuckle back on. Hit the arm side to side and up and down with a WOOD handled mini sledge and the tapered inserts will come free. They'll never come out with a mallet and the knuckle off. You have to get violent with them.

Works with all sorts of tapers, whether tapered washers like used for hub & steering arm mounting or for TREs. Bludgeon the housing, watch for the taper to pop free.

Back