• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recap Time: 2013

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Now that the new year is here, lets take a look back at 2013.

What did you guys accomplish, learn, or break over the course of last year? Any goals or resolutions for 2014?

Here's a letter from our national club President in regards to what NAXJA accomplished in 2013. It was posted in the members forum, but I thought I'd share it with everyone. Definitely makes me proud to be a member.

Open letter to NAXJA members and sponsors.

What a year that is has been. NAXJA has had several successful chapter events and one big national event in Moab.

We had some changes through the year with folks in different positions in the club and on the BOD. We worked through those changes and have a very active BOD. We give our regards to Cal and thank him for his service to the BOD and welcome Fore Wheeler on to the BOD with the recent November elections.

In the end, we had a great year and are learning how to do things better in future endeavors and events.

The club is prospering and we still have money in the bank. In fact our national treasurer, David Bricker has been working hard to help all of our chapters get online with separate bank accounts to better serve their members.

In Moab, in October, at the celebration of the 30th anniversary of the introduction of the XJ, NAXJA gave away a great looking and functioning 1999 Jeep Cherokee with lots of support from our sponsors and members. We had around 130 people at our dinner and raffle and around 90 Jeeps in attendance for the event throughout the week.

In November, I was able to attend the NAMRC meeting where NAXJA was able to donate $5000 to the Blue Ribbon Coalition. We are also working with other organizations to bring younger folks into our groups and educating them on land use.

NAXJA also donated $1000 to the Utah 4wd association.

With the support of the chapters, NAXJA has donated almost $10,000 in support of land use in 2013. This is only possible with the help and support of our members and sponsors.

Not letting the grass grow under our feet, NAXJA is planning a big event in Harlan, KY July 4th weekend to celebrate the 15th birthday of NAXJA itself being around!

I would like to thank all of our members and sponsors for their support not only in 2013, but over the years and look forward to a great and prosperous 2014!

As always, if you have any questions, comments, concerns about NAXJA and what is going on please feel free to PM, email, text or call me or any member of the BOD.

Thank you!
Matt 'macgyvr' Rowland
NAXJA president
[email protected]

Here's to a fun filled and memorable, 2014. :cheers:

Now that the new year is here, lets take a look back at 2013.

What did you guys accomplish, learn, or break over the course of last year? Any goals or resolutions for 2014?

in 2013 i took the jeep to the top of marys peak and proposed to my fiance'.

The list of broken parts isnt to bad but here it is;ax15 transmission,three drivelines two front one rear,set of upper control arms,exhuast header, steering colum, rear end shock mounts, front axle control arm mounts, radiator, altinator,dead pully, rear main seal, one side mirror, three brake master cylinders (during axle swap:wierd:).

Then the under took some big steps in my jeep wheeling growth: first I went to 35x12.5s tires, then mid way through the year I went to the hp44 and 9" rear with long arms mini spool in the rear and welded front. this is where I learned alot about how hard it was actually going to be and with some help from new and old freinds i got her back on the road. so far it has been the best upgrade I have done to the jeep.

My goals for the jeep this next year and myself; regear, sye, shocks,and skid plates. I hope to improve my skills as a driver and a father while out enjoying the north west. I hope to go on more wheeling trips and help when I can with people who need help turning wrenchs and advise.

Happy new year everyone

2013 has been a hell of a year for me

I told myself I wouldnt part out the 5.9
I parted out the 5.9

I Put together a Mild Exploring setup XJ and Planned to keep it for along time
Then sold it within 90 days

I told myself I would not buy another ZJ
I bought another ZJ

I Built the new ZJ and told myself It's not for wheeling I just wanted to put it together and Use it for snow/exploring, That same week.. I booked my Campsite in Moab and was there 3 weeks later..

I told myself I would not tear this ZJ up like the last one..
2 months later, Its worse then the last one..

I told myself I would NEVER own a Volkswagen
I'm starting to like my new Jetta

I Told many People I Love AT&T and will never switch
I now have Verizon.

My 2013 New year resolution.. Was to Move..
I still live in the same house..

I told my Wife NO MORE PETS until we MOVE
And then I got "My" first dog.. (Rottweiler)

It's all dumb little stuff.. But 2013 Kicked my ass LOL

I parted out the 5.9

I bought another ZJ

I Built the new ZJ and told myself It's not for wheeling I just wanted to put it together and Use it for snow/exploring, That same week.. I booked my Campsite in Moab and was there 3 weeks later..

I now have Verizon.

Lmao awesome

I parted out the 5.9

I bought another ZJ

I now have Verizon.

Im not the sharpest tool in the shed but Im begining to see a pattern I could be wrong though lol

I sold my 89 2dr
u3ugaga4.jpg

And bought my 97 4dr.
aduqu7y6.jpg

I sat on the bod....... Mistakes were made and learned from.
I squashed old grudges and reformed friendships.

I got married to the love of my life.

I realized life is only as complicated as I make it.

Thiefs tried to steal my Christmas spirit, but the kindness of others just reinforced that spirit.

This year I plan to build my late model to 5.5in and capable to make long journeys on and off pavement.

I will spend more time with family and good friends.

Hopefully I'll buy a house and start my family.....

I'm so looking forward to 2014!!!

My 2013:
1) I moved near Seattle from California for a new job. I absolutely love Washington and can't see myself moving back to CA. Washington is where we belong.
2) I wheeled a few times with the NWC, including NWFest. The trails up here are much wetter (even when dry) than the CA trails I have wheeled before. It requires a totally different technique. WA requires more throttle and less finesse; expect body damage.
3) I've traveled to China for work 8 times in the last 6 months. I am tired of traveling, especially to crappy countries like China.
4) My wife's teenage niece is moving in with us due to some family issues. This is the scariest thing that I have taken on, but will be the greatest opportunity of this girl's life. I hope I can be the hero that she deserves.

My 2014:
1) I plan to go down to CA to wheel the Rubicon.
2) I plan to go down to the Sierra Chapter's 'SierraFest' at Deer Valley (and maybe Rubicon).
3) I plan to wheel with the NWC every single chance I get.
4) I plan to be a hero when it is required.

1) Finally finished my degree
2) Moved to Grants Pass to start my career
3) Saved up money and frisked the internet for a perfect 2 door 5 speed jeep...Found it and bought it
4) Let the fun begin...OME 3.5 lift ordered :firedevil
So pumped for 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Year had it's ups and downs, spent most of the year without my Jeep, which kind of sucked. But I did hook up with a girl I had a crush on in high school so I'll call 2013 a win.
2014, not off to a great start but that just means room for improvement, right?

2013- call it a loss for the most part. I lost a family member to suicide, a great grandmother and grandfather to father time, have a good friend with a wife and 2 little kids diagnosed the day before thanksgiving with terminal pancreatic cancer. My son was admitted to the picu for 5 days again, due to his asthma, very scary. Thought we were over his susceptibility to this disease due to his tonsil removal. I fell out of the back of a truck, breaking my elbow, dislocating it and tearing all my ligaments, tendons and muscles attached 4 days before my vacation to lake billy chinook. That trip was rough having to sit on shore and not wakeboard or anything. Meds made it fun though.

I did finally do what I've always wanted and bought a very succesful landscape company. That in turn has allowed me to spend the time with my wife and boys my previous 75 hr+ a week position wouldn't allow. I purchased another xj and am purchasing another. The business has taken my stress level away and has afforded me the things me and my family deserve.

2013 kind of sucked, but I have a feeling 2014 will bring me record profits and a stable, positive outlook to our future. I set no new year resolutions, ever. If you can't decide on any given day of the year to change a habit or to be more likeable etc..and have to do it on the new years, you just aren't strong willed enough to follow through with your goal in the first place.

Regrets of 2013- not doing things as big as I could have, as I became complacent in what I was doing at the time.

2013- call it a loss for the most part. I lost a family member to suicide, a great grandmother and grandfather to father time, have a good friend with a wife and 2 little kids diagnosed the day before thanksgiving with terminal pancreatic cancer. My son was admitted to the picu for 5 days again, due to his asthma, very scary. Thought we were over his susceptibility to this disease due to his tonsil removal. I fell out of the back of a truck, breaking my elbow, dislocating it and tearing all my ligaments, tendons and muscles attached 4 days before my vacation to lake billy chinook. That trip was rough having to sit on shore and not wakeboard or anything. Meds made it fun though.

I did finally do what I've always wanted and bought a very succesful landscape company. That in turn has allowed me to spend the time with my wife and boys my previous 75 hr+ a week position wouldn't allow. I purchased another xj and am purchasing another. The business has taken my stress level away and has afforded me the things me and my family deserve.

2013 kind of sucked, but I have a feeling 2014 will bring me record profits and a stable, positive outlook to our future. I set no new year resolutions, ever. If you can't decide on any given day of the year to change a habit or to be more likeable etc..and have to do it on the new years, you just aren't strong willed enough to follow through with your goal in the first place.

Regrets of 2013- not doing things as big as I could have, as I became complacent in what I was doing at the time.

Oh wow...

Sorry to hear about all of your losses...
I can't even imagine...

Tonsils... For many years, medical doctors did not what purpose they held. From what I have heard, more recent studies have pushed the idea that they are related to the immune system. Removal could harm the ability to resist viruses and disease.

Congratulations to the purchase of a new business and good luck in 2014 with building profits to furbish your Jeep...

2013: Craziest year of my life. Peaks:
XJ was totaled and repaired...
Great times with my wife (kids were gone) on multiple weekend trips. Great memories...
Bought a Mustang GT to replace my Aveo commuter, in June. Got T-boned in October. Two accidents, one year; too much.

Lows:
I don't even want to remember the financial issues and having to replace a refrigerator after coming home from Octoberfest in Leavenworth. We had it pulled out a bit from the rear wall. Person who came to look at it, said any closer to the wall, we might have not come home to a house that weekend.

All in all....
Best year of my life. In 2014 I only hope for more time to work on the Mustang and Jeep. Better health with my family. And no more crazy [out of the blue] expenses...

Back