• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cranks, no start. New coil & CPS

MrSimon

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a 94, 4.0L, 4x4, AW4, OBD1 with 100k miles.

Ran like a top for a week.

Then after a snow storm and sitting outside for a few weeks, it started rough, ran crappy for 10 seconds, then quit.

Now it just cranks and cranks .... won't fire.

I replaced the CPS and the coil ... no change.

I tested the fuel pressure at the rail ... 35psi.

I tested for spark .... good snappy spark.

Any ideas?

hmm... you're getting spark but no start. Did you get water in your gas?

How does your cap and rotor look? opened it up yet?

Just to check, did you take the plug wires off? did you hook them up back in the right order?

hmm... you're getting spark but no start. Did you get water in your gas?

How does your cap and rotor look? opened it up yet?

Just to check, did you take the plug wires off? did you hook them up back in the right order?

The wires are correct.

I will pull that cap tomorrow and look.

It is possible I got some water in the gas .... if that is the case, what would the symptoms be and how would I fix it?

**Try introducing a small amount of gas into the throttle body. If the engine starts and runs for a few seconds with this quick and dirty technique, you have identified a "fuel delivery" problem. (You need approximately 31 psi of fuel pressure to start and run a 94 4.0 engine)

**If the engine still does not fire after trying the above technique, I'd install a simple "noid light" to see if you are getting a pulse from the computer to fire the fuel injectors.

**May also want to test the camshaft position sensor, which is located inside of the distributor.

Last edited:
Back