• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Two choices, what do you guys think?

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So my phase 1.0 turned out to be phase .5 since my 3" lift settled down to 2" lift lol well ill be hopefully getting enough money from saving Christmas Money and my birthday money(January) around $200 ish play money and got a couple of options to choose from:
1. Stay at 2" lift and get a Lokka locker for the d30. Gives me better traction with my LSD rear.
2. Install my 3.5" lift stuff I got from stang(can't think you enough man) and buy a sye.

Two other options but both are not as feasible:
3. Shackle relocation brackets
4. HD middle uni-frame stiffener(problem being is not able to weld, or finding someone to help take the time to weld and install them)

Which of the two would you guys get first? Figured this would pertain here more for our slippery conditions/ground clearance helps.
Let me know what one you'd choose

Stiffeners if you can make it happen. If not, get the locker!

Ya I want to do stiffeners but its going to be awhile before the wiring at my moms house will gets upgraded. so my other option is finding someone who'll actually set a day off to help weld and install......... Lol I know people are busy and have there own life's......... So ya lol

Ya I want to do stiffeners but its going to be awhile before the wiring at my moms house will gets upgraded. so my other option is finding someone who'll actually set a day off to help weld and install......... Lol I know people are busy and have there own life's......... So ya lol

What needs to be done at your parents house? You need a new outlet and wire added to the garage? You need a new panel? Just curious if I can help you in that dept so you can use your welder. It seems like you need it.

How often do you wheel?

How much do you see your self getting out before summer?

If I wheeled a good amount, I would do the locker.
(While we are talking about this, if you do wheel a lot.. What's your game plan? Lunch box lockers are only Temporary do to that factory carrier breaking in 1-2 years of good wheeling on 33s. I would hate to see you gear your axles down the road and break the carrier.)

But if I didn't wheel that much I would do the SYE so I can lift it.

Ya it's a house made back in the 40's so it's sorta old lol originally had no insulation, true solid wood doors(no thin cardboard doors) and old wiring lol the outlet that goes to the RV shed isn't able to handle higher amps and such. The wires aren't big enough, just connecting 3-4 shop lights up will blow the fuze :/ it sucks because I have just about every tool except a plasma cutter lol

Last edited:
1.How often do you wheel?

2. How much do you see your self getting out before summer?

If I wheeled a good amount, I would do the locker.

3. (While we are talking about this, if you do wheel a lot.. What's your game plan? Lunch box lockers are only Temporary do to that factory carrier breaking in 1-2 years of good wheeling on 33s. I would hate to see you gear your axles down the road and break the carrier.)

But if I didn't wheel that much I would do the SYE so I can lift it.
1. Not much right now(1 trip every few months) but with this job being mon-fri, I'm planning to get out more and more(at least 2 trips a month).

2. Well I should be caught up on bills and such in 2-3 months so hopefully by march ill have extra cash to start wheeling and building more.

3. Game plan is to build a expo rig, I have two axles right now, the one under the rig is staying strictly at 31"s and no upgrades or gearing except those that can be transferred to my second axle(axle shafts) the second axle will be the built one(truss/sleeves/geared/etc..) for 33"-35" depending when that time comes. If things work out, the second axle should be built and ready in 2-3 years lol(during this time, id be plating,armoring, outfitting,etc....)

Ya it's a house made back in the 40's so it's sorta old lol originally had no insulation, true solid wood doors(no thin cardboard doors) and old wiring lol the outlet that goes to the RV shed isn't able to handle higher amps and such. The wires aren't big enough, just connecting 3-4 shop lights up will blow the fuze :/ it sucks because I have just about every tool except a plasma cutter lol

It sounds like more than I can do in a day trip. Sorry man I would live to help but cant afford multiple trips to you neck of the woods.

Ya they've been slowly building it up, have insulation now, newer efficient windows, laminated floors, etc... We have one fuze box in the pantry, which is literally 12 feet from the outlet that goes to the RV shed lol but what they want to do is make two fuze boxes to spread out the load.

did the leafs and springs not get you the lift you wanted? or have you not installed it yet?

Haven't installed them yet, the sye/locker is what's keeping me from doing it. If I did locker first, I'd rock the 2" lift till I got the money to buy a sye and some shocks. But if I do the sye first, I'd be in the same ish boat by needing to buy shocks, .

Basically my two options if I go farther into detail:
1. Get the sye, but I'd have to wait a bit to do my 3.5" because I would need to get some shocks(or relocate shock mount) and if I'm lucky, some LCA.
2. Get a locker and rock the 2" lift I have and wheel till I can get a sye and shocks to do the 3.5" lift.

Last edited:
SYE and front drive shaft in the rear mod also don't bother with the lokka for now.

If your building a expedition/exploration rig you don't want to skimp on traction devices. Save your money for a full case automatic locker or true trac.

Would you break a lokka equipped axle on 31's? Probably not. Is it possible? Yes.

Go check out Nightfoams trip report from Alaska, Where he was stranded for days waiting on parts. At the time he didn't have a SYE and wished he did.

Or The Torxs report where he broke his front case when he was 1000 miles away from home. But he was running 35's and a lunch box in the front.

with 2-3" of lift, and 31s.. you'll do just fine All over the Northwest.. But wheeling comes with a cost.. You WILL break down at some point.. what will you do then?

If I were in your shoes.. I would Invest in AAA premier and a tank of fuel.. Quit reaching out for "More" and Enjoy what you have.. (With the added insurance of AAA)

Re: Re: Two choices, what do you guys think?

with 2-3" of lift, and 31s.. you'll do just fine All over the Northwest.. But wheeling comes with a cost.. You WILL break down at some point.. what will you do then?

If I were in your shoes.. I would Invest in AAA premier and a tank of fuel.. Quit reaching out for "More" and Enjoy what you have.. (With the added insurance of AAA)

Yes..... Only not AAA. do autovantage. Get 5 tows up to 150miles a year for the whole family for $75.

Then get something for the jeep

Yes..... Only not AAA. do autovantage. Get 5 tows up to 150miles a year for the whole family for $75.

Then get something for the jeep
You're drunk..

Nothing comes close to AAA.. call 100 tow company's all across the country..

Infact.. have you read the rules for auto advantage? It's a reimbursement program.. For on-road problems only..

Remember that accident i had a couple weeks ago? AAA would have sent TWO Tow trucks to winch me out.. and Not charged me a dime..

Auto advantage would have sent me Help, Up until the pavement ended.. but even if it would have happened around pavement, then I would of had to Pay the tow company right there anyway.. and "Hoped" to get reimbursed..

The whole point of AAA is to be "worry free" That sounds awfully stressful to me..

As someone who has used this service. Its NOT something to skimp on.

(dammit.. aaron..:smsoap: LOL )

Re: Re: Two choices, what do you guys think?

You're drunk..

Nothing comes close to AAA.. call 100 tow company's all across the country..

Infact.. have you read the rules for auto advantage? It's a reimbursement program.. For on-road problems only..

Remember that accident i had a couple weeks ago? AAA would have sent TWO Tow trucks to winch me out.. and Not charged me a dime..

Auto advantage would have sent me Help, Up until the pavement ended.. but even if it would have happened around pavement, then I would of had to Pay the tow company right there anyway.. and "Hoped" to get reimbursed..

The whole point of AAA is to be "worry free" That sounds awfully stressful to me..

As someone who has used this service. Its NOT something to skimp on.

(dammit.. aaron..:smsoap: LOL )

Lol....... I saw nothing about reimbursement in the info I read. I'll read it again.

Op pls excuse the interuption

For how often you wheel, Larry, I don't think you need the front locker that bad. You were able to conquer pretty much everything at TSF in the summer.

I rocked a 2" budget boost lift and 30" AT's for years on the early years of JeepForceOne. That's the setup I learned to wheel on.
P1010212.jpg

I'd suggest looking at your equipment and gear. You say you want an "expedition" rig, so make sure you can be semi-self sufficient.

- OBA: There's a few decent 12V compressors that work well for under $100
- Recovery: Invest in a good strap, and a few shackles. (I love my ASR Kinetic Rope the few times I've used it)
- Tow Points: I forget if you have them, but make sure your rig has adequate tow points front and rear.
-CB: Make sure you got a good setup that can receive/transmit.
-Tires: Even if you have a front locker, bologna skin tires aren't going to get you very far.
- Seat Time: Use that extra cheddar on a tank of gas and go have some fun.

my.02

Back