• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 XJ 4.0 exhaust

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

I have measured my exhaust something like three times now, given the info to my idiot shop owner friend who theoretically sells Dynomax stuff but apparently doesn't understand that I'm acting as a customer and will actually pay him money for stuff, and so I don't have the info anymore nor any parts...

I need a new muffler for my XJ, 1999, 4.0 - completely stock and original in this respect. I want to get something stainless so I never do this again. It has a slip fit on the back of the cat. what is the inlet/outlet size of the muffler? Is there a direct fit stainless muffler that isn't too loud? Has anyone used the 2.5" mandrel bent pipes from the eBay seller in Pasadena, MD? That's close enough to my friend's shop I could pick up, if it's worth the $100. Or is the stock tailpipe not that restrictive?

Good cheap sources appreciated, either local (NoVA/DC/MD or mail order) I also need some stainless clamps as well as clamps that I put on two years ago are already not reusable...

thanks!

Edit:

after a little search I find that a Walker Quiet Flow 21357 muffler is available and is theoretically stainless, should I just order one of those? Or has someone tried one and had complaints?

Last edited:
Stock setup is 2.25" in and out, I can't remember which is offset and which is center. I believe the out is offset.

Stock tailpipe is crap, if you're in a position to replace it with 2.5" mandel-bent pipe then do so. Whole pile of options here: http://performance-curve.com/search.aspx?manufacturer=13&log=false&category=385

Those tail pipes are 2.5", not the stock 2.25" so he would need an adapter, and the tail pipes are not stainless on that site.

OP:

The walker quiet flow muffler is stainless steel, and so is your stock tail pipe. If the tail pipe isn't in too bad of shape, I would re-use it and put a walker quiet flow muffler on. Stainless steel aftermarket tail pipes are hard to find. The only one I know of is Magnaflow, and you have to buy the whole $500 cat-back system to get it.

The local Autozone sells stainless steel exhaust clamps.

I've got a 2.5" system in mine. Some improvement in power, for sure. Not worth the noise increase to me. I mean, if it's still gonna be slow - at least let it be quiet...

EDIT: Sorry, don't mean to be negative. Just thought I'd offer an opinion. The 2.5 cat back will definitely wake up the car a little bit, just be prepared for a bit more noise while you drive it.

I wanted stainless but didn't want to spend that kinda $ for a vodka or magna... I found a 2.5" AFE cat back from a bender on eBay..was around $300.. nice system.. came with flange and slip fit cat mounts.. and band clamps. Would buy again

Also you can find various tail pipes on Amazon and eBay for decent prices.. buddy got one from Amazon w stainless tip for $175 and did that with a long cherry bomb.. fits fine without the harder to find center in, offset out muffler.. yes it's louder but in all was $200..
if you don't mind more noise.. asleast inline 6s sound good

stock tailpipe is stainless? wouldn't have known from looking at it... but it is pretty solid.

The eBay guy will make one in 2.25" for the same price so I guess the choice is between that and just reusing stock... I just like stainless cause it's purty. So nobody has anything bad to say about the quiet flow? I guess I'll just go with that and decide whether I want to drop for a new tailpipe or not. I don't need to pass inspection until the end of January and it's not really all that bad...

Sounds like what I'm considering is probably the best bang for the buck... whole thing would probably be around $200 by the time I bought clamps etc.

stock tailpipe is stainless? wouldn't have known from looking at it... but it is pretty solid.

The eBay guy will make one in 2.25" for the same price so I guess the choice is between that and just reusing stock... I just like stainless cause it's purty. So nobody has anything bad to say about the quiet flow? I guess I'll just go with that and decide whether I want to drop for a new tailpipe or not. I don't need to pass inspection until the end of January and it's not really all that bad...

Sounds like what I'm considering is probably the best bang for the buck... whole thing would probably be around $200 by the time I bought clamps etc.

The factory pipes look rusted on the outside but they are a bit thicker pipe than most aftermarket pipes. If the pipe is not full of holes then you are good to go. If the pipe is in bad condition then it might be worth going aftermarket.

I've used Walker Quiet Flows in the past on friend's cars and they are all holding up nicely.

Well, I finally got my muffler (got distracted by a bad oil pressure gauge sender, and fixed a few oil leaks first) I don't see how to reuse the factory tailpipe as it has a crimped bend right out of the factory muffler... has anyone had any luck expanding that pipe to make it round again, or am I stuck buying a new tailpipe?

I can't believe I didn't notice it before but when I started cleaning it up with emery cloth in prep to cut it off is when I finally noticed it...

Figured I would try to make stock pipe work. Gave up, ordered NAPA EXH 55593 which DOES NOT FIT - the pipe tries to take up the same real estate as the gas tank, and the welded rod is in the wrong place. Back to fighting with BFH and expander trying to make the stock tailpipe roughly round so I can clamp it together.

My father has the dynomax cat-back on his 93 and it sounds good(not loud-nice tone) and I noticed an increase in power. I've been thinking about ordering that kit for my 99 as well. only 150 shipped for muffler and tailpipe. maybe worth a shot if youre having problems with your current set-up. aluminized tubing and mandrel bent tailpipe with 2.5 tip

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17340/overview/

yeah I'm not a fan of aluminized though. I got the Walker tailpipe from a different supplier and the muffler is stainless but my tailpipe is aluminized. If/when it rusts out I guess I will replace it with the mandrel bent stainless. I used a sleeve clamp not a muffler clamp on the back of the muffler so it should come apart easily when that day comes.

Back