• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to secure coil packs

Alex E

NAXJA Forum User
Sooooo I recently got a 00 XJ and I'm swapping all the crap from my 87...blah blah blah...I was giving the truck as once over and noticed some home brew hold downs for the coil pack. When I bought the truck I thought someone just lost the bolts. Come to find out it must have had a head job with a 99 and older head. It works and runs fine but looks janky, any one have a solution?

Sooooo I recently got a 00 XJ and I'm swapping all the crap from my 87...blah blah blah...I was giving the truck as once over and noticed some home brew hold downs for the coil pack. When I bought the truck I thought someone just lost the bolts. Come to find out it must have had a head job with a 99 and older head. It works and runs fine but looks janky, any one have a solution?

Can you take a photo of the 'janky' setup and post it?

zip-ties.jpg

Hopefully when I pull the valve cover to fix the oil leak I'll check the casting numbers and maybe someone will have been smart enough to put a decent head on it.

On a side note, my Jeep has Autolite 985 plugs in it...I know those are the correct plug but what about the brand? I know some Jeeps need the Champions other wise they'll miss at idle and what not...any opintions?

Hopefully when I pull the valve cover to fix the oil leak I'll check the casting numbers and maybe someone will have been smart enough to put a decent head on it.

On a side note, my Jeep has Autolite 985 plugs in it...I know those are the correct plug but what about the brand? I know some Jeeps need the Champions other wise they'll miss at idle and what not...any opintions?

It's probably a 0630 head.

NGK ZFR5N plugs are good for your engine, and are recommended by lots of folks. Champion RC12ECC plugs are probably shown on the emssions decal on the firewall and would be okay.

Either plug gets gapped to .035".

Plugs are torqued to 27 ft/lbs without anti-seize - which I do not recommend using.

Back