• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IRO Heims

keith_b00ne

NAXJA Forum User
I am running the Iron Rock Offroad steering kit. The heim joints have quite a bit of slop in them making the steering feel less responsive and wobbly. I am going to replace the ends and wonder if I should replace them with identical heims or should I consider something else?

IMO I would consider ditching that kit because of the Heim size. IIRC they are only 1/2" or 5/8" And I'm having problems with Higher quality 3/4" Heims.. I would want to run atleast 3/4" joints in my steering..

I have had good luck with my QA1 Heims but I have had them for that long, only 8 or 9 trips and about 600 road miles

It seems like a lot of the race guys run FK Heims.

FK Heims are my vote.

The races are much better.

Also, consider 7/8"x3/4" Heims as they have more race material then a straight 3/4" Heim, which allows for longer life

I am currently running the 5/8" kit. (That is a 5/8" bolt with a 3/4" thread) If I wanted to run the 3/4" heim, other than drilling out the hole more, would I need to strengthen my knuckles?

If I "ditched that kit", is there another kit you would recommend?

Last edited:
That type of steering is known for its dead spot. That is why the companies over the poly spacers.
You would need to do wj swap or other aftermarket knuckle to get "true"crossover steering that does not require heims.
Otherwise, I would go with the ruffstuff crossover heim kit.

Back