• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will bad stater mean no start

jake88xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88 xj with a 4.0 it cranks but not start it has power going to the coil and out of coil to dist but no spark coming out of wires I just put a 2nd new set of cap rotor and wires because I thought that was the problem but I still can't get it to spark I just ordered a starter plans are to put it in tomorrow ..... The coil is new and the crank is new reading 0.47 volts ac help please

The jeep started running rough one day sounded like a miss fire so I turned it off and it never started after that

If it cranks, it isn't the starter. Don't waste your money. If you have spark, then it must be a lack of gas. Check the pressure. A common test is to crank a bit, then smell the tail pipe. If you smell no gas, then proceed to check for fuel pressure. Crank for a few seconds then depress the Schrader valve. You should get a big spirt of gas.

Click on the link below and go to posts 1,2 and 4.

This stuff's gotta be done before proceeding. The posts explain why.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cruiser54s-mostly-renix-tips-153657/

I'm talking about the stater (pick up coil, cam sensor) I'm not getting a spark but Ithe coil is sending power. I did a ground refresh as well thanks guys

I'm talking about the stater (pick up coil, cam sensor) I'm not getting a spark but Ithe coil is sending power. I did a ground refresh as well thanks guys

The stator is not important to spark. Has absolutely nothing to do with spark. It's there to tell the ECU when to fire the injectors sequentially. Anybody out there doubt this? Unplug your dizzy on that old Renix Jeep and start it up.

Test the CPS or do the C101 refreshing? CPS signal travels through the C101.....

Back