• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple of question..

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
1. I making my own steering box brace to replace the dinky aluminum one, got the 3/16 plate but having trouble finding the I.d. Of what the spacers should be. I know the o.d. Is given to what ever thickness the tubing/pipe/etc..
2. I've tossed the idea around but want your opinion: using DOM tubing(hear me out till the end lol) however thick it should be and use that as a inner sleeve. I know it won't be as strong as a nitro sleeve but I keep thinking it could be a mild to medium axle stiffener for my 31"s.(highest tire size I'm going on THIS axle) any ideas? Seems like it could be a cheaper way to stiffen a axle that will stay with smaller tires. If it sounds good, what thickness do you think would suffice?
Back story: I have 2 d30 housing, one on the rig and one empty one I'm building. The empty one I'm polishing it up for 33"-35" for my expo rig(not a rock crawler so no need to say 44) it'll come with inner sleeves and truss.
The axle on my rig is strictly staying at 31" and that's it, I want to strengthen it but not sink money into it like the other

I used 1" OD .5" ID tubing and cut it to length.

If you bend a tube with 31" tires you need to learn how to drive. Sleeve it and then youll surely bend the inner C. So either truss the whole thing or just leave it alone.

If you bend a tube with 31" tires you need to learn how to drive. Sleeve it and then youll surely bend the inner C. So either truss the whole thing or just leave it alone.

Is there a chance to bend my axle? Probably not, but why not be safe? Just like why carry a fire extinguisher? Its for that one unexpected time. And to be assured

i wouldnt invest time/energy/money into it if your building an axle, especially on 31s.

Learning about gear deflection, I figured maybe $20 worth of DOM on THIS axle would keep me safe on 31"s while I build up my other axle that'll have the whole shebang. Remember I have two axles, the one under my rig now is strictly 31"s but wouldn't mind be self assured there is no need for worry by adding a mild stiffener(that's all that will go into this axle)

The other axle that I have will be the one sleeved, trussed, gussets, etc......

I think I maybe worded this incorrectly, the sleeve I'd add to my axle that's under my rig would be a INNER sleeve, no cutting of mounts and welding and such, just DOM tubing of some thickness, that would help act as a mild stiffener for my current axle while I built up my other axle.

Last edited:
i mean... thats $20 worth of DOM could be $20 towards your build, or $20 worth of beer.

is it needed? probably not. but it will indeed accomplish what it is you are trying to do.

Lol alright so you do at least understand what I'm saying, I know I suck at explaining a lot of the times lol just tying to see if it can help me from having to put more money into this axle since I've seen gear deflection is a common thing especially with lockers that arent full cases.
since I'd be only using a lunch box locker in this axle, I'd hate to see my ring and pinion get chewed up some how and make me have to put more money in to this axle. See why I'm curious about this now? Hate to be doing a trail and next thing I hear is "click click click" as my pinion skips over the ring gear.

I think you should price out the DOM tube you are talking about..

Unless you have an amazing hook up.. you're $20 number is not even close..

haha!

I ran 33s on a stock LP D30 with a lunchbox locker for a couple years and never had a problem... I didn't peg it or anything like that but I ran Moab and the Rubicon with it and she held up just fine.

How long untill your 'next' axle is ready? If <3 years then I wouldn't bother.

But hey, YMMV.

I think you should price out the DOM tube you are talking about..

Unless you have an amazing hook up.. you're $20 number is not even close..

haha!

Alright so it's more like $24-$27 depending on exact length. For both sides and yes I do have a hook up lol that's why I figured I'd ask.

The other axle will probably take a few years depending on how funds play out. I plan to take my time and do it right with the axle since it'll be the last axle for this rig.

I think everyone here understands exactly what you are saying. But you aren't understanding what anyone else is saying. The D30 is more than Enough for 31s. The time and cost even if minimal is not justified if you are actually staying at 31s. Just polishing your other turd and when ready toss it in.

I think everyone here understands exactly what you are saying. But you aren't understanding what anyone else is saying. The D30 is more than Enough for 31s. The time and cost even if minimal is not justified if you are actually staying at 31s. Just polishing your other turd and when ready toss it in.

Alright, ya I just wanted to make sure. It's the gear deflection that spurred the thoughts on this. But you guys say I don't have anything to worry then I can use that money on other things then. Thank you guys! Appreciate it

dana 30 will be fine for 31s I bent one of my dana 30s before but i was on 33s and jumping it at sand lake at 55mph. these little axles arent bad if you arent betting the crap out of them all the time

dana 30 will be fine for 31s I bent one of my dana 30s before but i was on 33s and jumping it at sand lake at 55mph. these little axles arent bad if you arent betting the crap out of them all the time

I think I've seen a few of those pics of you jumping lol

I dont think an inner sleeve would help much with ring gear deflection anyways.

As far as reading here and pirate, gear deflection comes from the tubes and diff flexing. Now on pirate there is a kit to stop it but its super pricey and I do believe for 44 and 60 axles. One solution is to stiffen the axle tubes to the diff so a inner sleeve that goes all the way to the inner seal should stiffen the axle to avoid flexing.

Is there a chance to bend my axle? Probably not, but why not be safe? Just like why carry a fire extinguisher? Its for that one unexpected time. And to be assured

I think I've seen a few of those pics of you jumping lol
most the pictures ive posted arent the greatest the video on my facebook has me getting around 2 seconds of hang time and between 4 and 5 feet of air. the passanger my now fiance was not so pleased on the landing.

As far as reading here and pirate, gear deflection comes from the tubes and diff flexing. Now on pirate there is a kit to stop it but its super pricey and I do believe for 44 and 60 axles. One solution is to stiffen the axle tubes to the diff so a inner sleeve that goes all the way to the inner seal should stiffen the axle to avoid flexing.

no, hes right. i had typed the same thing. but decided i didnt really care. sleeves are really meant to stiffen the tube, preventing it from bending. which, i would agree that the tube flexing a bit would contribute to ring gear deflection. but they arent doing much to prevent deflection if they arent tied together. a truss is the best option, followed by a stout diff cover and a full case locker. id honestly worry about C bracing before sleeving the tube.

your over thinking the deflection thing. that becomes a problem when your dealing with the weight of larger tires, the torque of deeper gears, and so many other factors. also note, a stock gear set (numerically lower) is going to be arguably stronger than a deeper gear set due to the tooth shape and mesh. your shafts and carrier are your weak link, not the gear set.

no, hes right. i had typed the same thing. but decided i didnt really care. sleeves are really meant to stiffen the tube, preventing it from bending. which, i would agree that the tube flexing a bit would contribute to ring gear deflection. but they arent doing much to prevent deflection if they arent tied together. a truss is the best option, followed by a stout diff cover and a full case locker. id honestly worry about C bracing before sleeving the tube.

your over thinking the deflection thing. that becomes a problem when your dealing with the weight of larger tires, the torque of deeper gears, and so many other factors. also note, a stock gear set (numerically lower) is going to be arguably stronger than a deeper gear set due to the tooth shape and mesh. your shafts and carrier are your weak link, not the gear set.

Awesome that info is what I was needing, thank you guys then. Ya ill just put the money into other things then like other axle or to the jeep itself.

Back