• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 2wd to 4wd with pre 96 parts

sc0rp7

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting my hands on a 97 2wd 5 speed for next to nothing and have a 93 4wd with an automatic that's wrecked in the back yard. I know that it is always recommended to use all swap parts off of a same gen vehicle (97+ in this case), but what all if anything could I use from the 93 I have on hand in the back yard? I figure the axles could be used.

I would like to put the aw4 auto trans in the new jeep but I imagine wiring issues would prevent this, what specifically would be the issues though? I am a technician and a handy person in general. I'm sure I could do about anything I wanted, I just am trying to decide what's worth it and what isn't.

Ps. Don't say buy a 4wd, I'm getting the 2wd for pennies...

Determine the transfer case input spline count and length, and the speedometer output wire connections. Research what you have in the 93, and what you need for a 97+.

Read this about swapping the AW-4 - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

Check the 97 trans to make 100% sure it isn't a super late build that actually uses 98 parts. Just look up at the driver side of the housing directly behind the bellhousing for a sensor, it should be right around the shift arm where the shift cable connects to it. If there is a sensor there, it is a 98 and later design and you need a 98-01 transmission donor OR possibly swap in an earlier 97 TCU, while if it has no sensor there, you can use any 91-97 4x4 trans with a little wire splicing. I recommend good Raychem DuraSeal type butt splices and a ratchet crimper... shrink the terminals down after and you are golden.

edit: errr, didn't realize it was a 5 speed recipient. That makes things way easier, use whatever TCU the trans donor has and don't connect its CCD bus wiring to the main CCD bus in the vehicle and you're going to be fine. It may idle a little low at stop lights in gear since the ECU won't be expecting the parasitic load from the torque converter. Also, please remove the trans tunnel blockoff plate, gearshift boot, and pedal box in good condition and sell them to someone on here on the classifieds, they're somewhat difficult to find in the yard for late model XJs and more people want to convert autos to manuals than vice versa.

Differing parts between auto and manual: blockoff plate on the tunnel (the auto shifter handle mounts to a special one), shift boot/bezel for the console, steering column doesn't have a park interlock cable setup on standards (not critical for your purposes), pedal assembly, driveshafts (you need front/rear off an auto with the same engine, 4x4, same rearend, from any 96 or later), trans crossmember is a little different, ECU on an auto tattles on you if you do something to the trans control wiring, and a few other things that are slipping my mind right now.

Last edited:
Back