• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help... 98 4x4, Auto, 4.0 VSS question

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Like title says, I need help with my vehicle speed sensor.
I took the sensor & sensor adapter out of my NP231 to re seal them. Sealed up nice but now the speedometer doesn't work.
Took them back out of the NP231 and spun by hand, watching scan tool. Sensor works - I can spin it up to what it thinks is 60 mph by hand.
Reinserted in transfer case, can't get even 1 mph out of spinning the driveshaft or putting it in drive.
Seems like the gear isn't meshing to the output shaft... but can't see why I'd be having such difficulty getting it to mesh. Tried many times screwing with it.

Anyone run into this? have a solution?

I sometimes forget how helpful good service information can be.
I found the answer:
The vehicle speed sensor uses three parts.
One, is the sensor itself. It's the outermost piece you can see when you are under the car, the part the wiring clips into.
Two, is the sensor adapter. The sensor bolts to this. The adapter, a larger piece of black plastic, inserts into the transfer case tail cone & is clamped in place by a semicircle clip and a single 13mm bolt (actually an 8mm thread)
Three, which you can't see until disassembly, is the gear that meshes with the output shaft. To compensate for different tire sizes and rear diff ratios, different gears are used against the output shaft. Different gears being different diameters, some adjustment is needed in order to get the different gears to mesh with the stationary output shaft teeth.
To this end, the gear is mounted on its axle offset from the center of the mounting hole AKA on an eccentric.
If you clean up the sensor adapter real nice, you can see range numbers on it near where the sensor is attached. Count the teeth on your drive gear, identify which range that number falls into, and position this range at 6 oclock. Clamp in place with the clamp and bolt. Speedo should work.

If you haven't already screwed the pooch, as I had, then clean the area and make an index mark 1/2" long across the adapter and tail cone with some white-out. Put it back so the marks line up & call it a day.

Back