• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Temp low? Bad sensor?

BostonIrish

NAXJA Forum User
My son's Cherokee has been showing 100-150 on his temp. Guage ...I'm thinking the coolant temp sensor is bad.No check engine light, no loss of cabin heat , coolant is up to snuff and flowing.I did disconnect the sensor wire and clean the connector but no change.Is there anyway to test it or should I just throw a new one in? I don't want to be missing anything or making a bigger issue than it is...

You're probably right. I always verify odd coolant readings by pointing an infrared point and shoot thermometer (widely available and now inexpensive) directly at the thermostat housing of a hot engine. The coolant temp sensor can be tested for resistances. Get a manual that will show you how and give you a table of resistances at different temperatures. The procedure will tell you to remove the sensor, place it in a temp of hot water with a calibrated thermometer, etc., but I usually just test while in the engine and that will get you close. You should have a VERY big swing in resistances between a cold and hot engine.

You don't mention the year of your son's Cherokee as the location of the coolant temp sensor varies a bit between older and later model XJs. On older ones, there are two coolant sensors; one for the computer and one for the dash gauge so be sure you replace the correct one if this applies to your son's XJ.

Replaced the sensor..didn't really do much..I also threw a new radiator cap on.He's gonna drive it tommorow and see if there are any changes.I ordered a new thermostat because I suspect it's stuck open.It seems like it takes a while for the engine to warm up...heat in the cab was not as great as he said it was...my a Wrangler heats up pretty quick.The radiator is full and overflow is up to the mark..I replaced the radiator about 2 years ago...not sure what's the problem ....

Back