• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Observations - replacing door and fixing steering column

bigalpha

My 1992 got stolen and in the process the thieves ripped a hole in the door and broke the steering column.

Column
Here is a link to a complete tear down of a GM style column.

You can install an 89 steering column shroud onto a 1992. The 1989 key cylinder uses a bolt to retain it in the column. The 1992 key cylinder uses a spring loaded tab built into the cylinder. The 1989 shroud only allows the bolt retaining method while the 1992 shroud has provisions for both retention methods. You can grind/cut a notch in a 1992 key cylinder to fit the bolt retention method for installation in a 1989 shroud. I did and it fits snugly.

Pulling the column completely out of the jeep is the easiest way to work on it. When you reattach the support brackets to the column, you have to remove them completely from the jeep, install on the column then reattach to the body.

While the column is pulled, go ahead and tighten up the tilt mechanism. You'll need a special tool to pull the hinge pins but it's cheap. Go head and buy one.

Clean and grease ALL working and moving parts in the column. It works so much smoother once you do that - you'll notice an immediate improvement. Plus, it helps hold things in place during installation.

The wiring that's ran through the column is attached to the turn signal stalk and the turn signal assembly. It pulls and pushes through the column easily. These components will have to be removed in order to replace the column shroud.

Door
Remove the entire fender when replacing a door. It's the only way to do the job easily. MAKE SURE YOU TEST FIT BODY PANELS AND THAT THE DOOR OPENS AND CLOSES PROPERLY BEFORE YOU REINSTALL EVERYTHING FOR GOOD!!!

I had a replacement door laying on a table which makes the job infinitely easier. You can lay a flashlight in the door and use a mirror to see what's going on. Makes lining up the rods way easier.

A 1989 door lock cylinder is physically different than a 1992, but the rods connect identically between the two so you can swap the locks. I installed a 1992 cylinder into the 1989 door. I had to put a 1989 faceplate on the cylinder because the 1992 cylinder has a smaller diameter faceplate. There's an indention in the door that accounts for the faceplate so installing a 1989 lock onto a 1992 door may be problematic from that standpoint.

A 1989 power door (locks/windows) has a different wiring harness than a 1992 door and a 1989 door harness will not plug into the harness inside the cabin of a 1992. You can install a 1992 door harness into a 1989 door with no issues, though because the connectors at the windows and locks are the same between the years.

Be careful when pulling wiring through the door so you don't accidentally strip insulation. There's a grommet in the body that holds the door wiring as it enters the cabin. That grommet pushes outwards towards the door and not inwards towards the cabin.

Lube all moving components with good grease at this point, too! You'll notice an immediate smoothness you may have not felt in years. I'd even recommend removing the door check assembly, removing old crappy grease and re-lubing that too.

Locations of bolts that hold the fender in place:
- 2 torx in the door hinge. You'll see the heads facing you
- 2 torx at the pinch seam right under the door hinge
- 4 torx on the top of the fender right inside the engine bay
- 3 torx behind the headlight. You have to remove the header panel to access them
- 1 nut that holts the fender brace in place - the brace is located at the very top of the wheel well
- Remove the bumper cap completely
- If you have the front air damn, it's clipped to the fender flare with two christmas trees
- One screw next to where the fender flare and air dam meet - the head is pointing towards the ground

Hope this helps someone.

Back