• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What engine will work in 1989 XJ W/ a 5speed

pnwridgerunner

NAXJA Forum User
The title says it all basically, but I want your guys opinions and experience on this matter. I stopped by 205 auto salvage and they quoted me a price for an engine but told me that I had to stay with an 89 or an 88 engine. I have read that I can install up to a 95 4.0 in my rig. What would you guys suggest as I work on trying to get some funds together for this project. 1989 XJ with a 5speed tranny mounted to a 1989 4.0, I would like to go newer on the engine so I can put an aftermarket exhaust manifold on later when funds become more available.

I know my brother had an 89 and it had a different pilot bearing then the 96 motor we put in. Other than that we swapped a bunch of renix stuff over to his new engine and it firied right up. We had to machine our own pilot bushing to mate the 89 5sp input shaft to the 96 flywheel. That was our only hiccup. I don't know if there are any other differences.

Any 4.0 from 87ish to 1999-2000

Just use your same intake and exhaust (the one that came with the body of the jeep)

Use the intake/exhaust gasket for the body of the jeep.

There will be a little miss match on the ports from the head no real power loss or gain.

Be careful
There was a "sheet change" on the 4.0 in 1999 in the wjs and in the TJs
None of the motor mounts or anything will bolt up

There telling you to stick with 88-89 because there are changes from renix to HO

Like out put shaft spline count on the trans
But that's stuff you don't have to worry about

Last edited:
Are you interested in getting it welded? Might save you a ton of time and money.
I know a guy that has a portable welder and has the skill to weld it :eeks1:

Back