• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear bumper suitable for towing

moparmansfield

NAXJA Forum User
Been looking for a rear bumper with a receiver made for real towing(frame tie-ins) for my 99 xj. Haven't had much luck finding one. Any ideas? I don't have a tow package, so might as well get the bumper included if possible. Most rear bumpers with a receiver just mount in stock location with no real support.

I've got the Dirtbound Mojave DIY. I wouldn't hesitate to tow with it as long as its within the capacity of the truck. The bumper mounts go inside the "frame rail" and act as their own nutserts.

97811494-4DB8-4EC5-9D78-F60ED2273031_zpsmnwluhdj.jpg

JCR rear bumper with tie ins.

I think ill be picking up a DIY JCR with the tie-ins. looks fairly simple to put together.

I have a rigidco that has Framerails tie ins. My old bumper had them but they were only flat plate, and so they bent and cracked my rear xmember. Welded those up, bought the rigid, and modified it ala Foxwar's bumper build by putting 2x4x1/8" tube inside the frame rails, basically sandwiching the frame with the bumper on both sides. I'll eventually add some tie ins for the end caps just because I have a swing out. I've pulled my Dad's 2005 correct craft ski nautique with it with no problems.

As long as it has Frame tie ins you should be good. But I would add the tube inside the rail on whatever you buy to have peace of mind. Flat plate tie ins can bend. Try to get something that has a vertical dimension to the tie in, like angle iron or even 2x2 box tube. Look at any hitch for the XJ. It's not just flat plate bolted to the rails. Usually it is angle or formed into a 90* bend and then mounted. That vertical component is what resists bending with the tongue weight.

I have a Rigidco as well, looks way beefier than the Class 3 hitch that is currently on the Heep. Only reason I haven't installed the Rigidco is I have a weird interference problem with the gas tank, and haven't found a welder to "fix" it yet. Low priority, really. I'd sell you the Rigidco bumper if you were closer. The guy that makes them is awesome, too, he and I spoke at length about my heep and the bumper not fitting, really good guy to deal with. Only reason the bumper isn't installed yet is I've had other stuff to do, not his fault at all. The bumper itself looks like pure beef.

I also got some JCR nut strips and those are a nice upgrade as well, look a lot sturdier than the stock ones and use larger hardware.

If I am thinking about it correctly, I could just throw some 3/16 plates onto the sides of the nut strip before sliding it in and either weld that in through some rosettes or throw some bolts through it.

Back