• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High oil pressure all of a sudden?

wolf2600

NAXJA Forum User
99 Sport, 4.0L. 125k miles.

Factory pressure gauge has always been around 40ish, slightly higher on accel, lower on decel.

Had oil and filter changed about a month ago, and everything was fine. Get in car this afternoon and the pressure is reading close to 80 under accel, 70ish under decel. 60ish when first started and idling. (so the movements of the gauge seem okay, everything is just about 20-25psi higher than normal).

Does this sound like a failing pressure sender, or a larger issue?

Also, where is the pressure sender?

Last edited:
I had a similar issue which turned out to be the pressure sender. With the ignition to on (engine not running) does your guage read anything. When I would turn the ignition to on without the engine running I was reading about 30 psi. New sender fixed the problem.

I'd be suspicious of the factory sending unit. Mine failed at 135k on my 98. It's located right next to the oil filter on the passenger side of the engine. It's very easy to bump or disturb when installing or removing the oil filter. If you replace it, get one from the dealership. Aftermarket sending units have a horrible reputation. You'll pay $20 extra for the dealer part but it will work.

If you're concernced about the running pressures, rent or buy a mechanical oil pressure gauge and verify your actual pressure.

I'd be suspicious of the factory sending unit. Mine failed at 135k on my 98. It's located right next to the oil filter on the passenger side of the engine. It's very easy to bump or disturb when installing or removing the oil filter. If you replace it, get one from the dealership. Aftermarket sending units have a horrible reputation. You'll pay $20 extra for the dealer part but it will work.

If you're concernced about the running pressures, rent or buy a mechanical oil pressure gauge and verify your actual pressure.

^^^ This. Get a Mopar sending unit from Jeep.

Pressure sender.
Failed in my '84 (was of a different design) and both my 2001s have failed.
Easy changeout.

The NAPA parts in my '01s are still working just fine.

The NAPA parts in my '01s are still working just fine.

Normally I would agree as I love NAPA; however I tried that route first and the new sending unit literally fell apart in my hands as I tried to install it. It was a Borg-Warner unit and I was very surprised it was of such low quality. I returned it, got my $$$ back and bought one from Jeep. That was about 25k ago and I've had zero problems.

Just bought one of these for my Heep. The gauge has been acting up for a while now, first reading just a little bit over, and now I turn the key on and 80PSI instantly.

Aside from sensor replacement, the best way to confirm CORRECT oil pressure. Is with a mechanical gauge.

Back